135 Euro Parking Fine!

shihadehs

Senior Insider
Parking has been a problem in Gustavia forever. The other day, around noon, we searched all around town for a parking spot and at last found one behind other cars on the sidewalk across from Black Ginger near Eddy's. We did a quick shop and returned 30 minutes later to find a ticket on the car. I went to the Gendarme Station this morning and the nice officer was polite but firm...it is against French Law to park on a sidewalk and they don't post signs since everyone knows it is French Law. I asked about parking on the sidewalk across from the Anglican Church down towards Bagatelle and it turns out that is the one area it is permitted because the sidewalk is so wide.

Anyhow, just another ****ty day in paradise, minus 135 Euros :cool:

Steve

Didn’t ruin our day though!
Just a warning the Gendarme are out in full force writing tickets and be wary of the width of the sidewalk you choose to park on.
Aimee

They seem to enforce that law only during the day. I usually park there at night when we go for dinner at one of the nearby places, as do many other cars. In any case, they have become very strict about parking in Gustavia during the day, and I'm always seeing groups of Gendarmes patrolling the main streets.

That fine could buy a nice dinner at many Island Restaurants, so thanks for the heads up. Glad you took it in stride, and didn't let it ruin your day.

Phil

They have to impose it in order to keep the passages and areas for all off us to enjoy driving unimpeded but if it happens to you or me- not fun! Sorry for your inconvenience.

You misunderstand, I was commenting on IZZY link video of the Pink Panther as Too Funny. NO, WRONG Bill; any fine is not a funny matter.

Thanks for the heads up! We park on the sidewalk across from the Anglican Church all the time, but didn't know that it was the only place where it is acceptable.

Happened to us on our last trip. So many cars were parked in the same area with no ticket. Makes you wonder if they look for rental cars to generate revenue.