May visit 2019

Great writing! AND photos! Courses at L'Esprit especially captured beautifully. Always a pleasure to see a post from you.

Post-magnum day.

After all the exercise and rose yesterday, a slow start to the morning. Rain clouds are forming by eleven, so we head up the hill while it is less difficult and over to Gustavia for some shopping. Finally located some of the locally carved heart sculptures, although a bit pricey for mid-trip. As the final week progresses, our wallets will start to lighten and one will likely be purchased.

Lunch hour arrives, so we head over to St Jean to give Lil Rock a try. Nice place. Toes in the sand, but a bit lower key than Pearl Beach next door. Order a Minuty (hair of the dog and all that) and a shared "Assiette Creole" - Accras & creole sauce, stuffed crab, a small salad and a black sausage. Seen the latter on menus and am glad I tried it, but probably not again. Mostly the squishy texture. For the plat, they have a "Trilogie de la Mer" that we also shared. Half of a lobster, mahi mahi and skewered shrimp, all grilled. Nice idea. Allowed me to have the Mahi Mahi, the wife the shrimp and lobster for both of us. Restaurant really begins to fill up, so we skip dessert and head over to the Marche for a few things.

Back at the villa the sky has cleared somewhat so out come the Kindles until it's time to take in the sunset down past the Cheval Blanc. Dinner is grilled chicken and tagliatelles with a nice Chablis.

A few photos:

2019-047.jpg2019-048.jpg2019-049.jpg2019-050.jpg2019-051.jpg

Fete de Maman

Low key day. Quick run up the hill for baguettes and viennoiserie (discovered earlier that this is the correct name for croissants and pain au chocolate, etc...) and back down again to eat them. Since last year, they have lined the road with bollards, so no more parking on the sidewalks and with the fete de maman today, went a bit early to try an avoid the crowds. Got a spot right out front, but leaving was a lot trickier.

No maid today, so we grabbed towels and kindles and headed outside. Lot's of people on the beach all day, easily the most we've seen all week. Some families, but mostly couples. Sun pretty intense, so we open a magnum of Rock Angel. On sale for 40 euros at the wine store in Gustavia (across from the AMC)! About the cost of a single bottle back home, so contemplating squeezing one in the suitcase.

Mid-afternoon, storm clouds appear to the east, so we pack up and head inside. Just for show as they slide off toward St Martin obscuring the islands north of us. Back outside along with about 20-30 clusters of beachgoers. Lot's of activity both in and out of the water. Sun setting so we showered and begin preparing filet minon du porc slathered with mustard and rolled in bread crumbs. Took much longer to cook than anticipated, so we must have been off on our Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion. Ended the day with the last bottle of VC out the beach, while surrounding villas and cases, one by one closed up for the night.

2019-052.jpg2019-053.jpg2019-054.jpg2019-055.jpg2019-056.jpg2019-057.jpg2019-058.jpg

Last full day on "our" beach

With our "time slot" closing on Flamands, we enjoyed our last full day here before a shift over to Lorient for the rest of the week. Rain clouds building, we jump in the Jimny for a few errands. Major stop was at the airport to talk to the Tradewind folks. Having upgraded to first class on the United flight down to SJU, one of the perks is a free extra checked bag, so we packed a third suitcase with extra clothes and a couple of pool floats, which could then be used to cushion an extra bottle of rose or two and my usual 3-liter box of Clement rhum. Too clever by half. Turns out our total arrival weight was already the maximum (100 lbs) for Tradewind. Their policy is to send extra weight on a later flight, but by that time we would already be homebound. Thus the plan is to send the bag over a day earlier, except all the SBH-SJU flights for Friday are empty (i.e. no flights). UGH! Tradewind counter person said to check back on Thursday to go over the options, which means that no purchases of any weight are being made until we know for sure.

Back to the villa for a bit, before heading into Gustavia. Parking required several rounds through town, trying every combination of cross streets and with numerous missed opportunities. Finally found one in the back corner by L'isola. Whew. All this effort caused great hunger pains, so we made our first visit to La Creperie and a shared Galette (egg, ham and cheese). Light and delicious. Back to the Jimny to reset the parking clock and then a stroll over to Bar L'Oblie and another first, a meet up with the newly arrived Phil and Amy over a glass of rose or two. Wonderful, wonderful time. They are a truly delightful couple and we are so glad our paths crossed.

Rest of the day is relaxing with a Clos Beylesse before changing and taking our final stroll down the beach to La Langouste. Appetizers were gazpacho and a nice crab tiramisu. Dinner was a shared langouste grilee. Amazing how much different the Caribbean lobsters are from Maine lobsters and have a certain "gout de la mer". Soon after we placed our order, the restaurant filled up with only a couple of empty tables. Exhausting watching our waiter scurry from table to table managing the half French half American crowd. Upon bringing the check, he nicely left us with a less than empty carafe of Rhum Vanille, so more than a single shot was sipped. A nice nightcap.

Some photos:
2019-059.jpg2019-060.jpg2019-061.jpg2019-062.jpg2019-063.jpg2019-064.jpg2019-065.jpg2019-066.jpg

Oh, and nice Luckenbach T-shirt. :cool:
Thanks. The old one wore out, so I got a new one back in March when we visited the hill country. SXSW was in town so we based ourselves out of the Hotel Havana in San Antonio. Speaking of Liz Lambert hotels, I was wearing my Hotel San Jose T shirt on the columbier hike, which was noticed by a couple from Austin. Small world.

The final stretch

With our slot closed and no point in heading back home mid-week, we decided back last fall to book an additional villa. Within our budget, nothing on Flamands, done Pointe Milou (hate the afternoon heat), so landed on the Villa Bikini above Lorient. Yesterday, the villa rep managed to land an early arrival, so we pack up our belongings, including wine, ice and a single coffee filter (just in case) and followed him over to Lorient. Road was closed between St Jean and Lorient for the day, so took the scenic route (aren't they all?) and came in the back way. Ironically, all the construction is happening at the foot of the villa's driveway, so egress is less than ideal. Villa itself is a step up from the VDD, including a better equipped kitchen, although the waves are much further away.

Friends from the past several visits arrived yesterday, so we headed into Gustavia for a few rounds of rose and people watching with them at Le Select. Amazing how the relationships take on a larger part of our experiences here. Had an early pre-departure lunch of baguettes with whatever was left in the refrigerator at Flamands, so began to get a bit hungry. Haven't had a "Cheeseburger in Paradise" in six years, so gave the "Marius Special" a try (double burger with actual bacon, not lardons). Quite surprised and definitely hit the spot. So much better than last time. I'm a partial convert. Couple of hours fly by and it's time to part ways and check on the Jimny. Empty spot behind us so we move back, reset the clock and do a little shopping.

Back at the villa, decide we are a bit "restauranted out", so we need to cancel our Tamarin reservation. Wife is busy with her phone and mine is in airplane mode (lest I repeatedly incur the $10 international charge), I pick up the villa phone (in yet another first) and dial the whole 05 90 ....... With several "desole's" they are understanding and thankful I took the time to call. Friends then call with an invitation for a few drinks at their villa across the water from us. Wonderful evening catching up and a few hours later I'm back here overlooking the twinkling lights of the Christopher drinking a ti punch from the Clement rhum and cane sugar graciously left by the previous guests. A notre sante.

A few photos (and a faster internet connection):

2019-067.jpg2019-068.jpg2019-069.jpg2019-070.jpg2019-071.jpg

You've got the "enjoying St Barth" thing down pat! I had a lovely stay at VKN several years ago. That is until I realized that pool is the area's watering hole for bats that dive bomb around midnight! I learned to walk on water that night. :eek:

Funny story Missy
Wish I were there to see you walk on water

That trip, in particular, was wrought with extraordinary memorable experiences! To give you a tease: I think I might have married one of Rosita's cats! :cool::very_drunk:

That is until I realized that pool is the area's watering hole for bats that dive bomb around midnight! I learned to walk on water that night. :eek:
Holy ****! That's what all that commotion was in front of me last night while sitting on the deck! I thought it was the Ti punch going to my head!