Passport Six Month Rule for US CITIZENS????

Newbie2019

Hi all,

I’m a new visitor to Saint Barts, and leave in a couple of days. I just noticed that my passport expires 5 1/2 months from now, the Villa rental place that were using recommends having six months on your passport. I’ve heard this is not a hard and fast rule, and really only applies to visa countries. Anyone have any experience whether this is enforced strictly with US passports???? Thanks much!:pray1::pray1::pray1:

Last year, I traveled to and from St. Barts with 2-months remaining on my passport with no incident. I applied for a passport renewal when I arrived back home. Your milage may vary.

A number of the islands including Saint Kitts, Nevis, Antigua, Saint Lucia, Barbuda and Grenada enforce the 6 month passport policy. The airline will not let you board if you are attempting to travel to a ‘6 month passport’ country because if they allow you to, they are responsible for flying you back to the U.S. I suggest you contact the airline and ask. If they say no problem you should be okay.

a number of years ago I traveled to St Bart's unknowingly with an expired passport--I realized it once I was in flight--believe it or not I had no problems--never get away with that today I'm sure!! I was lucky for sure

Due to my lack of diligence, my wife, daughter and I traveled to St Barth in March and April with U.S. passports that were set to expire about two months from our dates of trave.l Previous discussions on this site and others about the risk of not being allowed to board the plane or of not being allowed to get off the plane in SBH had us fearful our trip would be ruined. Our fears were not justified and not a word about our passports was said by anyone. We have now, however, sent in our applications for renewal and expect to see our new passports soon.

Best to pay attention to those passport expiration dates. It would be a shame to have a long awaited trip get thrown down the drain because of it. Glad those who were “in the expiration zone” had no issues! A good reminder for us all.

Thanks all, went to the passport office in DC and got a new one that morning. Best government office in the district. Sitting at our villa now.

We were in St Barth’s in February. My passport was to expire in November. The immigration agent said to me “make sure you renew this soon”. I was surprised he commented 9 months out. I renewed as soon as I got home. I think it all depends on the mood of the person as to whether or not they enforce the 6 month rule.