One more time! A beautiful place to be.

cec1

Senior Insider
After many years of writing about gastronomy on the island, I feel poorly equipped to match the superlative characterizations of SBH dining that are offered by so many others. So, I turn to what I like best about being here — eating, of course, but most particularly the camaraderie found in spending time with friends.

In a late dinner tonight at L’Esprit, for example, it has been fun to see & talk with various friends who have come, in holiday mode, from working in other restaurants . . . tomorrow being VE Day, anniversary of the day when General de Gaulle announced the liberation of France from Nazi Germany. The smiles, laughter, Tequila, & festive toasts evoke a very strong & happy community. As we’re having a light rainfall, guys who manage chaise lounges at Pearl Beach tell me not to be concerned — “it’s like a warm shower!”

I’m also seeing the island anew through the eyes (& excitement) of a young houseguest — my (former) French tutor in FL. (We mutually concluded that I’m incurably tone deaf!) Being fluent in Spanish & French, however, he tells me that his first visit to SBH has been like he imagines “heaven” to be . . . so many welcoming people, all engaged in languages that he speaks, with great pleasure in their friendly meetings.

Last night, for example, after my usual pleasure in eating at Eddy’s, my friend & I stopped for a nightcap at La Cantina as we walked to our cars. This place, recently (this season) re-opened in new ownership, is a “happenin’ place.” By at least 30 years, I was the oldest person in the restaurant / bar . . . but found instant friendship among the late night revelers — all welcoming me with great respect as though we had lifelong family ties. (The glasses of champagne offered to me showed a lot of class!) If you haven’t been there . . . go! A great spot.

Today also was a new experience for me . . . after 40+ years in visiting St. Barths: A gym, sauna, massage, lunch, & beach experience (at Cheval Blanc). WOW! What a time, beginning at 11 AM & ending about 8:30 after the famous Tuesday night fashion show! If you’ve ever considered one of these “massage packages,” I’ll tell you that it was an experience that always will be a standout memory. Great massage left me wondering why I’ve never done this before . . . and great lunch, with a bottle of Veuve Clicquot (not part of the “package”), sitting alongside a railing overlooking beautiful Flamands beach, led to beach lounges & a refreshing nap in the shade of a big umbrella (ambient light still has left me with a bit of sunburn). A visit from the hotel’s food & beverage manager, a longtime friend, was a nice accompaniment.

Lovely evening one night at Santa Fe . . . now closed two days/week (Tuesdays & Wednesdays), with a closing planned — as I recall — for 2+ months from mid-May.

Maya’s . . . always a favorite spot for me, along with L’Esprit. Each place with strong patronage as “the season” winds-down.

With very good Forum friends, there were great lunches at the new “Lil Rock” & a true-to-reputation Sunday afternoon at Nikki Beach. (My friend joined the dancin’ on tables crowd . . . days later, it’s still a smiling recollection for him!)

A couple of fun occasions with Film Festival folks . . . wonderful lunch at Eden Rock, & on one evening our Villa was the venue for a post-screening cocktail / dinner party — dinner generously provided by Kiki e Mo. Great, stimulating, very talented artists.

Lunch yesterday at Mango confirmed the enjoyment of prior visits . . . friends & conversation, of course, make it a standout memory. But, the food, ambiance, service, & comfortable “toes-in-the-sand” setting complete the experience as a happy time. (It also was nice to use the pool for a refreshing “dip” as the afternoon progressed.)

Sunday’s “Marche” in Gustavia also qualifies as a festive family / friendship experience. I’ve been there other times & find that it’s reminiscent, for me, of the pleasure of being at a County Fair, which — though something that I enjoyed a long time ago — continues to be a warm memory. As the Marche wound-down, we retreated to “Victoria” for refreshments.

Finally, I have to note that there’s a palpable sense of romance in the air . . . among the visitors that I’ve seen, as well as local friends! Young & old. Springtime, perhaps? But, why should that be surprising in this beautiful, happy spot!

I can’t write enough about the pleasure that I find in being here . . . so much to appreciate, & sharing it on this visit with a friend of the age that I was on my first visit refreshes all the enjoyment that brings me here very often. And still more days ahead.

Dennis, just keep on keeping on. Sounds l8ke the perfect escape to paradise after a tough winter and the loss of your wonderful Mom.

Seeing the island through a new pair of eyes is always a treat. Sounds like he is hooked too.

AHH, ST BARTHS,

Reading your happiness is a wonderful way to start our day! After your many years on the island, Ouanalao continues to charm, energize, entertain and provide bliss! Please keep on sharing!

Oh, Dennis....I will never tire of seeing St Barth through your words. I sigh at every period; savoring what I'd just read in hopes of absorbing it into my memory before moving on to the next sentence. I feel your passion for the island and her people down to my bones! Thank you SO much for taking the time to bring this joy to the forum.

you ought to write a book.. oh wait, you did !

thanks again for the post-film supper venue, Villa Case & Cuisine with its indoor / outdoor spaces lends itself perfectly to such an event !

A very poetic post...I felt like I was right there with you! Your ever elegant posts are a joy to read. Thanks for sharing your amazing experiences with us!

A beautiful word-picture of your happy place, Dennis. So glad that St. Barth has worked its restorative magic on you.