Things We Miss

Meat and Potatoes. They said the name was silly and the fare would not work. They were all wrong. The meats were fantastic and the thin apple tarte the size of a shoe box topped with ice cream made for one great dinner.

Our favorite restaurant, from mojitos to steak to potatoes to dessert.....and the staff was super fun.

Not that I miss it, since I never did it. Who remembers the horseback riding in Flamand. Anyone ever ride down there?

WOW! What great memories this thread brings back.

For me they begin in March 1987 with a one week stay on Flamands beach at the hotel that was destroyed by a hurricane a few years later. Name escapes me. Coming from Boston/Nantucket then, and riding in an open sided Moke... who cared if one got wet in the showers? It was a warm rain when it was snowing back home.
After buying at Colony Club in 1999 and then selling 20 years later, in part because so much had changed, SBH is still the best! Plus ca change.... mais it's still the greatest.
My favorite memories...
-Staying at Petite Morne the first 10 years for 2 weeks 2-3 times a year. Doors wide open and the night wind blowing thru the studio.
-Renting a Moke from Odile... she's still a beauty, but a real babe back then.
-Gouveneur beach at 1PM when the shop girls would come for lunch, unwrap their pareo, eat and sunbathe nude until time to return to work.
-Pelican resto, now site of Nikki. Then it was a true island beach bar with a simple fish menu.
-Moules et frites on Thursday nights from the two sisters that ran La Marine. I would call from the States to reserve a table... a big deal call back then.
-Pierre at Pipiri Palace. First night was always for Ribs and Blues! A fun guy that rolled his own cigs with a little "extra". Always a gleam in his eye, Pierre's rum vanille was the strongest :) To me, Pierre's passing was the first sign of change on the island. I'm always happy to find Regine is OK.
-Baz Bar at New Years and Bucket when Jean Marc would say "screw the decibel meter" and let the place rock. Jimmy arriving to borrow Evan Goodrow's guitar.

But fortunately some things are still the same.
-Eddys. Great food and always a friendly hello from Eddy, Bridget et al.
-Walking down the hill into town for dinner and the hike home. I still rent at Colony Club when on island.
-Gouveneur beach. Despite the americans and their piles of beach paraphernalia, if you walk to the end you can find solitude
I'm sure I'm leaving much out, having spent 2-3 years in total on island over the 32 years since 1987, but these are what come first to mind. The best years!
I'm always happy when I check in here and see the vibrant community that helps keep the spirit alive.
Vivre St Barth!

For me they begin in March 1987 with a one week stay on Flamands beach at the hotel that was destroyed by a hurricane a few years later. Name escapes me. Coming from Boston/Nantucket then, and riding in an open sided Moke... who cared if one got wet in the showers? It was a warm rain when it was snowing back home.
After buying at Colony Club in 1999 and then selling 20 years later, in part because so much had changed, SBH is still the best! Plus ca change.... mais it's still the greatest.
My favorite memories...
-Staying at Petite Morne the first 10 years for 2 weeks 2-3 times a year. Doors wide open and the night wind blowing thru the studio.
-Renting a Moke from Odile... she's still a beauty, but a real babe back then.
-Gouveneur beach at 1PM when the shop girls would come for lunch, unwrap their pareo, eat and sunbathe nude until time to return to work.
-Pelican resto, now site of Nikki. Then it was a true island beach bar with a simple fish menu.
-Moules et frites on Thursday nights from the two sisters that ran La Marine. I would call from the States to reserve a table... a big deal call back then.
-Pierre at Pipiri Palace. First night was always for Ribs and Blues! A fun guy that rolled his own cigs with a little "extra". Always a gleam in his eye, Pierre's rum vanille was the strongest :) To me, Pierre's passing was the first sign of change on the island. I'm always happy to find Regine is OK.
-Baz Bar at New Years and Bucket when Jean Marc would say "screw the decibel meter" and let the place rock. Jimmy arriving to borrow Evan Goodrow's guitar.

But fortunately some things are still the same.
-Eddys. Great food and always a friendly hello from Eddy, Bridget et al.
-Walking down the hill into town for dinner and the hike home. I still rent at Colony Club when on island.
-Gouveneur beach. Despite the americans and their piles of beach paraphernalia, if you walk to the end you can find solitude
I'm sure I'm leaving much out, having spent 2-3 years in total on island over the 32 years since 1987, but these are what come first to mind. The best years!
I'm always happy when I check in here and see the vibrant community that helps keep the spirit alive.
Vivre St Barth!

19 posts in 10 years and I have a feeling they are all this awesome.

Thanks for sharing your memories!

For me they begin in March 1987 with a one week stay on Flamands beach at the hotel that was destroyed by a hurricane a few years later. Name escapes me.

It was Hotel Baie des Flamands, with La Frégate restaurant.

What we miss... a simpler, slower lifestyle where if you encountered another car on the road it was often someone you knew, and you could stop and chat for a few minutes without anyone honking or zooming past on a scooter;
The tradition of lifting your thumb from the steering wheel when you saw someone you knew in a car coming the other way but didn't stop to chat, just a simple recognition of friendship;
The days when the island really felt like a laid-back semi-forgotten outpost with a lot of Caribbean charm;
The St Barth ladies waking barefoot in their lovely blue dresses and wide-brimmed straw hats to collect vegetation for their goats;
Sunday regattas of small local wooden boats, almost all of which have vanished;
An island where the houses blended into the landscape rather than destroying it completely before building mega villas they cry out ostentatiously;
Hotels and restaurants owned by local people or St Barth-based companies rather than large groups located in Paris or elsewhere;
Charming little shops with unique items rather than designer labels you can find anywhere;
I have to say that being away from SBH for six weeks so far on a many-month enforced stay in Guadeloupe, I don't miss any of the glitz or glamour, or over-priced restaurants, I miss the island I discovered in 1989...it seemed to belong to the locals. I guess I am getting nostalgic for something that really doesn't exist anymore...

I miss the old Carl Gustaf hotel, the new one on the way will never be able to capture the old one.
I miss the silence, now I hear construction noise six days a week every where on the island. sundays takes me back.
I miss spending dollars....lol.
I miss seeing the goat guy in flamands.

however, I still love St. Barths.........so far so good, better than most, I can still see children walking alone to school and hitch hiking.......a thing of the past in most countries.

The Bread Lady of Lorient. Autour de Roche. David and Peggy. The Grover family. The Luke family. Regular power outages. Checking the cistern water level. My parents. Lulu's Marine.

“The Bread Lady of Lorient” — a memory that captures so much in the period you describe, Charlie, & the times noted by Ellen.

Another memory of SBH in the 70s . . . there were few cars on the island, & when two cars approached each other on the road at night, drivers would reduce the headlights of their vehicles to the “parking lights” as they slowly drove past one another.

Has anyone mentioned “‘L’Banane,” the small club in Lorient with nightly “floor show” spectacles produced by famed French cabaret singer / entertainer Jean-Marie Rivière? Wildly funny.

Meeting up on the road with cargo carrying mules and donkeys instead of oversized trucks

...Has anyone mentioned “‘L’Banane,” the small club in Lorient with nightly “floor show” spectacles produced by famed French cabaret singer / entertainer Jean-Marie Rivière? Wildly funny.

I had some familiarity with his Paris productions but, sadly not the St Barth ones. A video example of one of his shows is found here. Other examples can be found by googling. A brief tribute (he passed away in 1996) with some video clips can be found here (google translated below). Jean Marie Rivière de l'Alcazar au Paradis Latin, a French documentary that has footage even non-French speakers may find entertaining, is found ici.
IMG_4423.jpeg
HISTORICAL:
Jean-Marie Rivière, born May 18, 1926 in Bergerac and died April 23, 1996, was a personality of the French music hall, emblematic figure of the world of entertainment, he was long considered one of the kings of Parisian nights. He successively founded and animated the Café des Arts in Saint-Tropez, the Parisian cabarets of the Alcazar, the Blue Angel - which did not remain open very long - and the Latin Paradise, opened in 1977.
The Alcazar opened in Paris in 1968 in the Latin Quarter, exploding the background and form of the magazine. The Alcazar quickly becomes a mythical place of the capital. We find Régine, Marie-France or Dani. Transformers are all the rage and the best transvestites in Paris find refuge there.
Jean-Marie Rivière launched many show talents, including Artur BRACCHETTI. It is at the Music Hall that he triumphs thanks to his humor, calling the customers to their tables.
In the filmography of the actor Jean Marie Rivière, there are about twenty feature films of which
1955 "Gas-Oil" by Gilles Grangier, his first film; 1960 "The Godelureaux" by Claude Chabrol and
1985 "Paulette, the poor little billionaire" by Claude Confortès which will be his last film.
IMG_4424.jpeg
Personal note:
I had the chance to work for a year with Jean Marie Rivière, and it's certainly the most memorable experience I've ever had. a talented man, He had asked me to put together the choreography of "Carmen" (a burlesque version of the opera) with Bertha in Don José, Herma VOOS in carmen, Paco in Don Patillo with his famous ballet of the tambourines (sad reprise to the Bobino !!!)
It was not easy working with him as a choreographer he did not always know what he wanted but he certainly knew what he did not want. And he made it known with his cavernous voice, reprimands were hearty! He liked to sow discord on stage during the show, he shouted at us during the performances but in fact it was only show ... The audience always had the impression to live an exceptional show, with an irascible master of ceremonies and authoritarian, who led his troupe with the baton ... but in the end it was the big joke in the boxes!
And what a pleasure to dance in front of the international show business, Frank STALLONE, Liza MINELLI, Frank SINATRA, Shirley BASSEY, Shirley Mc LAINE, Joel GRAY (who was immediately entered the boxes to congratulate us on the show), and many others…..
His loss terribly affected us all, Jean Marie RIVIERE was Monsieur Cabaret, the master and our spiritual father to all. That he is resting in peace, now that he is in heaven, he will certainly have already converted the angels into glitter, rhinestones and champagne bubbles!
Gianin LORINGETT 1999

Izzy, that was a great show and La Banane was so casual a place, it was fun to take guests to see the cabaret.. it later moved - I think to Boubou's restaurant at Le Sereno (someone please correct me if I'm wrong....)