Things We Miss

La Gloriette.

Yes, La Gloriette definitely, and Andy's with Andy's special welcome and the great waiters--Alain, of course--and the unbeatably delicious thin crust pizza with spicy olive oil drizzled on top. Also, we miss Le Piment the way it used to be before it became a sports bar.

Also Lobster and frites at Le Pelican?

Wasn’t Pelican the best! Service might have been the very worst on the island . . . food was good, but far from gourmet. None of it mattered as one waited after the third bottle of Sancerre, in one of the most gorgeous of SBH settings! I still have “Le Pelican” t-shirts (though, they’re “a little” tight on me today!).

Down memory lane...
Chez Francine—always our first day lunch
Castelets—-nothing else like it
Marigot Bay Club—the most romantic setting
La Marine—-good food and harbor views
Captain Monbars—-way before L’Isola;the menu was always a surprise
Le Rivage—our grandchildren played on
the beach when they got tired of adult company at the dinner table. Hervé was a genial host just as he is now at QG.
Lafayette Club—-the best, largest and most expensive pina coladas in the Caribbean—and the most memorable lunches, too.
Vincent Adam—-wonderful, simply wonderful
Le Sapotillier—exceptional food and hospitality.
L’Hibiscus—they used to entice jazz trios by giving them free food and lodging.
And many others that have been mentioned—Hideaway, Flamboyant, Wall House

Ahhh, the good old days.

I remember when mules brought our belongings up to the villa.

We loved it when the only light on the island was the sun and the kerosene lamps at night, electricity came in 1961.

Just one gendarme for the entire island.

Not a phone for miles!

Oh and going way back, we were not happy when the Swedes built Fort Gustav, if I remember correctly, in 1787, no, not happy with that.

All kidding aside, we’re still crazy for St. Bart’s but miss a quieter time, one with fewer cars, fewer villas and when being ostentatious was not part of the scene.

Ahhh, the good old days.

I remember when mules brought our belongings up to the villa.

We loved it when the only light on the island was the sun and the kerosene lamps at night, electricity came in 1961.

Just one gendarme for the entire island.

Not a phone for miles!

Oh and going way back, we were not happy when the Swedes built Fort Gustav, if I remember correctly, in 1787, no, not happy with that.

All kidding aside, we’re still crazy for St. Bart’s but miss a quieter time, one with fewer cars, fewer villas and when being ostentatious was not part of the scene.

When my husband was born in St Barth "the only light on the island was the sun and the kerosene lamps at night..." and they walked to school from the far end of Flamands to Gustavia where the school is near the post office and QG.. I doubt many of us would have really enjoyed living here then... it sounds romantic but...

We discussed this thread last night. We both said, THE LAFAYETTE CLUB.
I remember the first time we went to SB and I had my first $42 piece of fish (priced in francs) at Lafayette Club. I was in shock for the entire trip.

Was Cocoloba another name for La Gloriette at one time or was it a different place?

Upon arrival the VW van and gendarme which served as customs and immigration. Being brave enough to drive around the island on a motoscooter- or dumb enough- would never do that now,

I am laughing, Aimee. I will however miss the Terios as they are no longer being manufactured.

When my husband was born in St Barth "the only light on the island was the sun and the kerosene lamps at night..." and they walked to school from the far end of Flamands to Gustavia where the school is near the post office and QG.. I doubt many of us would have really enjoyed living here then... it sounds romantic but...

But....
no cars - mules or walking
no electricity - kerosene lamps
no running water - waiting for rain and cisterns
no airport - a few hours sail from St Martin bashing to windward (which is a lot of fun)
no fresh produce or moules (I need my greens to go with my meals even if they aren't that local otherwise I become... err irregular...TMI?)
no concierge service to book your reservations (For those times when I'm too lazy to do it myself)
no internet (how else would we know what Amy and Phil or dad are dining on?)
no daily news delivery (does anyone really need this?)
and so on

So despite all the complaints (mine included) about how it was better then...it's pretty damn good now which is why we keep going back

Not that it was better then. We still love St.Barts and is my favorite place for a vacation. Just about some of the places we miss. Nothing beats the people, the villas, the beaches, the restaurants, the views and the bakeries.

You left out wine shops.
We agree, it has everything we need in a warm friendly environment. I feel connected and so glad our happy place still offers us so much serenity into the 21st century.

-Le Sapotellier
-fun (risky?) dives off Eden Rock
-the dessert cart from Wall House
-an empty, all-to-yourself Taiwana (now it's no one's :sad1:)
-beautiful blue towels from Isle de France, the colors bring back great memories
-local St Barts coffee blend

I mean the list can go on and on...