Reforest the Tropics

Hawke

Senior Insider
Visited my son Greg in Mystic CT. today to have lunch. He is the leader of a company that is replanting forests in Costa Rica to capture carbon dioxide. It opened my eyes to how successful it has been. Not only does it work,,but it also gives the farmers an important source of income. Look up Reforest the Tropics and you can see a very interesting video. I'm a proud father and grandfather of 5 children and eight grandchildren.

I feel, the same warmth and love you have for your family. I feel, exactly the same about my 6-children and 7-grandchildren. Ain't life grand! Nothing beats rearing a successful offspring.

No wonder you are proud! It is gratifying to see the next generation carry forth the values that you inspired. Congratulations to your son!

We know a man who has made it his life work to supply school children with baby ebony trees and has had planted many tens of thousands of them throughout Kenya. He was honored at the United Nations.

I have a number of cedar trees here at the beach. Each spring when we return, always a couple of 1" tall seedlings underneath...

When GD one was born, I set a couple aside. Likewise, #'s 2+3.
They each now have a 9-8-7 year old eastern red cedar with their name and the year of their birth on a lil ipe' plaque...depending on age, maybe 4-8' tall...planted on the "street" side of our lot. They get a big kick of visiting "their" trees each spring and comparing growth rates.

Friends liked it, so all the new grandkids in our circle get trees + plaques. This one's gonna live oceanfront in a few days. For Leo, born 2016.

Hey, I'm doing my bit here...
20190716_161340.jpg

Splendid idea. Old Jewish custom to plant a tree when a child was born. When that child got married, the father would cut its branches and erect the marriage canopy, the CHUPAH.

Splendid idea. Old Jewish custom to plant a tree when a child was born. When that child got married, the father would cut its branches and erect the marriage canopy, the CHUPAH.

Did not know this custom, nice, memorable. Year we were married we planted an oak tree about a foot tall I found in a flower bed, now that tree 41 years later is quite the tower in the front yard of our former home.

Fred must be posting again.
Just as I appreciate all the posts you generate; especially the time you put into menus; it's also nice to see Fred back! Calm down folks. Viewpoints; even politically don't have to send you over the edge. Fred appears to be a good husband, good father, and good grandfather. In my mind that is what important. We all need our buttons pressed every once in a while. I have 5 children. Two conservatives, three liberals, and we all love each other. I am blessed.

Agree, Hawke. There is room for many opinions to keep the pot stirred. It just has to not boil over into mean or uncivil posts.

Everyone who visits here or contributes posts here MATTERS.

Agree, Hawke. There is room for many opinions to keep the pot stirred. It just has to not boil over into mean or uncivil posts.

Everyone who visits here or contributes posts here MATTERS.
Couldn't agree more. Without you and your wonderful husband, andynap, Kevin, Dennis, and many others is the reason I visit this site more than any other. Even the WSJ. Denise had a fall and fractured her wrist and ankle while I was in the midst of planning our next trip. That has been postponed. I'm her loving caretaker for a while, but this site is my medicine.

What a refreshing thread! The storyline of plantings to honor newborns, friends, family, and others presents a lovely & inspiring image.

Kent . . . very sorry to read of Denise's injuries. Please extend best wishes for a speedy recovery!

What a refreshing thread! The storyline of plantings to honor newborns, friends, family, and others presents a lovely & inspiring image.

Kent . . . very sorry to read of Denise's injuries. Please extend best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Thank you Dennis. Always a pleasure to deal with you.

Friends of ours lost their oak tree. They asked a friend to haul it away. Very sad. The friend left the tree in his field for several years. It aged. Today the family that lost the oak tree have it in their home as their dining room table.