SXM Airport Passenger Congestion

You’re correct, Kevin. We were lucky on Saturday, arriving shortly after 11 am to get to our 1:18 pm connection. We did employ PremiumIV which was helpful. The terminal got more crowded as the afternoon went on. Depending on the time of day on Saturdays, people need to give themselves at LEAST 90-120 minutes at SXM to avoid missing flights.

You’re correct, Kevin. We were lucky on Saturday, arriving shortly after 11 am to get to our 1:18 pm connection. We did employ PremiumIV which was helpful. The terminal got more crowded as the afternoon went on. Depending on the time of day on Saturdays, people need to give themselves at LEAST 90-120 minutes at SXM to avoid missing flights.
Most people don't read the fine print on the websites for the carriers, you must have ! good girl !

We are flying thru SXM (on a Saturday, in late March) for the first time in years. We have been indulging in Tradewind Aviation lately. However, this next trip we have decided to go thru SXM, not only to save on travel costs but because we are traveling with our small dog and going thru SJU is not feasible this year because of their ridiculous pet import regulations that insist on the rabies vaccinations within 6 months of travel. As most pets in the US get a 3 year vaccination, this is not possible for us this year as she just got her vaccination last February. Now, the St Maarten pet regulations are also onerous but at least they are not unsafe. Sorry to have gone into such detail...my actual question is: If we land from JFK at 11:22am, have CARRY ON bags only, should we still consider the use of Premium IV? And what time should we book our WINAIR flight? (St Barths Commuter only has flights scheduled later in the afternoon) This thread just reminded me of Premium IV so I thought it worth asking and getting advice.

I’m surprised to read about SJU difficulties in travel with a dog . . . I had understood that it was easier than transferring through SXM. Glad to know this info.

It is easier to travel with your dogs thru SJU..the requirements for the numerous and unnecessary vaccinations to land SXM are crazy and not required in most states or provinces ..

I have done both. Yes, SXM is complicated. But the 6 month Rabies Vaccine requirement is not doable and I have double checked with USDA Agriculture department to verify. Last February I insisted that my Vet give Lily a "booster vaccine" which is really just another shot of the vaccine even though she was not due for another couple of years. She did not re-act well and was sluggish for a few days (she is 13 years old and only 6 lbs) and I felt extremely guilty for putting her health at risk. Won't do that again. So SXM and all THEIR silly pet import regulations is the way to go for us for now. By the way, the 6 month rabies vaccine requirement is fairly recent as it used to be within one year. Still problematic though because Vets in the USA almost universally give the three year vaccine. I have been admonished by the customs agent in the past for having the 3-year. The irony in all of this is that the St Barths custom agents never even blink at the dog and never ask for paperwork.

I have done both. Yes, SXM is complicated. But the 6 month Rabies Vaccine requirement is not doable and I have double checked with USDA Agriculture department to verify. Last February I insisted that my Vet give Lily a "booster vaccine" which is really just another shot of the vaccine even though she was not due for another couple of years. She did not re-act well and was sluggish for a few days (she is 13 years old and only 6 lbs) and I felt extremely guilty for putting her health at risk. Won't do that again. So SXM and all THEIR silly pet import regulations is the way to go for us for now. By the way, the 6 month rabies vaccine requirement is fairly recent as it used to be within one year. Still problematic though because Vets in the USA almost universally give the three year vaccine. I have been admonished by the customs agent in the past for having the 3-year. The irony in all of this is that the St Barths custom agents never even blink at the dog and never ask for paperwork.

Curious if you asked Tradewind directly about their requirements seeing as how one doesn't go through the normal airport protocol flying with them out of SJU? Also curious to pass on to house guests this winter.........If catching a good Tradewind flight price, what is the difference in $$$ flying through SXM with a VIP service? Are VIP services around $150 per person or something like that? I don't recall what I paid years ago getting my Dad over to SBH that way. Is using VIP out of SXM similar to Tradewind pricing?

Why not speak with your vet, explain the situation, and have them certify the paperwork?! Never hurts to ask.