Friday Morning, Starting Slow

KevinS

Senior Insider
Relaxation time. Our guests have returned home, and we’re back into our usual vacation mode. It was great having them here, but things are necessarily different when you have guests. And that’s OK. Nothing beats family.

It takes no effort for me to slip back into my usual island routine. I’m up before the sun at 05:15. This morning, it’s just me and the island. All of the iToys stay in the bedroom, I move to the hammock and watch the day come alive.

The day is brightening quickly, as Anse des Cayes and Anse Lézards catch the morning sun. There are a few puffs of cloud in the sky, but most of the clouds are off towards Sint Maarten. The bay has kicked up a bit, nothing major, just a little more than the flat-calm that I saw yesterday. There’s maybe a 2-3 foot average wave height, just enough for the occasional flash of white as one crests.

It’s quiet. No road noise, and I haven’t heard the birds start their day yet. Soon come. For now, it’s me, the breeze, and a few rustling palm fronds. The tide is falling, so while I can hear the waves on the rocks below, there is no Whomp! going on. At about 07:00 the sudden rustle and crash of a falling palm frond alerts me that it’s time to stop zoning out, and time to be productive.

Sleeping Beauty has about another hour left in her night, so I retrieve my iPad and see what is going on in my world. Soon, it’s time to prep breakfast. On St Barth, breakfast is often cheesy scrambled eggs, coffee/tea, and croissants. Today is no different. I have a few farm-fresh eggs left. One egg is so large that I’m suspicious of it being a duck egg. Cracking it into a bowl, I find that it has a double yolk. Two more eggs, a splash of Crème Légère, a grind of salt, a grind of pepper, some shredded cheddar, and I’m good to start cooking.

Sleeping Beauty is up now, and is making tea for me and iced coffee for herself. While the skillet is heating, I open a fresh bottle of Veuve Clicquot and pour two Mimosas. A few minutes at the cooktop and breakfast is ready. Time to move to the terrace and put some quite music on the SoundLink - Steve Goodman’s “California Promises” comes up first, a good start.

Bon Appétit, and Santé!

Hey Kevin,
I will be joining you in your island spirit soon enough. Ahhh, Veuve Clicquot Mimosas, going to try that Sunday morning.
Where are you staying in Anse de Cayes? We are up very high on Flamands this trip.
Really enjoyed reading you writings....

Lovely to read your musings of such a peaceful morning! A perfect start to another perfect day in paradise. We depart tomorrow so feeling a tad melancholy today. All good though. We shall return; hopefully sooner than later.

16 days for us to experience morning Veuve...after long recovery from Achilles surgery we will be experiencing that every morning..
you paint a lovely picture Kevin...

Kevin, sounds like you have made the adjustment to your new status in typical Strong style. I am happy for you.

Kevin we enjoy your writing and musings as well. I love to wake before sunrise. When staying at Emeraude Plage our room was in back so I would take towels and grab a beach chair and watch the sun rise over the mountain. This year for the first time we are staying in a villa up in St. Jean. Not sure whether we face east or west. We arrive in 24 days and your post really put us in a St. Barth frame. Thanks

Kevin, I can totally relate to this post. Your blessed to be able to spend so much time on the island. Thank you for all the great advice.