Conde Nast- 2019 World's Best New Hotels- Manapany

stbartshopper

Senior Insider

ST. BART’SMANAPANYUnique on an island well known for profligate excess, Parisian Anne Jousse, owner of a portfolio of small hotels in France, including the groundbreaking Bel Ami in Saint-Germain-des-Prés, sought to introduce more than a modicum of eco-responsibility to St. Bart’s. The glamorous hotelier had fallen for Manapany, a once-upon-a-time chic spot on the sleepy north shore, on family trips. She bought the place in 2016 and initiated a top-to-toe reconstruction of its 4.2-acre beachfront on Anse des Cayes. Two years and one major hurricane later, it’s been reborn. Water is heated by solar panels, no chemicals are used in cleaning or maintenance, towels are made of woven bamboo, and only electric cars are permitted beyond reception. Yet Jousse’s endeavor isn’t lacking a lick of luxe. All 43 sea-view rooms and villas—eight directly on the sand, others a mighty but rewarding 80 steps above and with enormous terraces—are gracefully decorated by Parisian designer François Champsaur, with walls painted peppery red, turmeric orange, mint green, or ultramarine blue. Impossibly attractive staff serve artfully crafted rhum agricoles at barefoot dinners, and a Dr. Hauschka–supplied beachside spa has raised St. Bart’s wellness game. With its design ethos and ecological focus, Manapany represents the next wave of Caribbean hotels. FLASH POINT All the citrus, avocados, and mangoes served at breakfast are plucked from the property’s orchard. +590 590 27 66 55; hotelmanapany-stbarth.com. Doubles from about $365

We have not stayed there, but have eaten lunch there a number of times over the past few years. Our dining experiences there go back to the “Black Sandwich” and include the hamburger I had there on March 30, which was the best of ten burgers I had during three weeks on the island during March and April. Yum.

We had lunch there on our trip last week and it was fantastic! All five of us loved our meals (my beef ribs were amazing-perfectly cooked and seasoned). A beautiful property as well!