First two days

jrosen

Senior Insider
Let me start with last nights dinner at L’ esprit Excellent! I started with the duck rolls and Tillie had the tuna tartare. We then split a green salad. I had the turbot on a Jerusalem artichoke purée and Tillie had the sweetbreads. JC is really on his game!

Now on to tonight. After so many great reviews we were really excited to go to Quartier General.
Apparently we forgot what ran us off from L’Isola a couple of years ago. Dining in Gustavia on a Saturday night that coincides with the end of a big boat race is a terrible idea! Everyone working in the restaurant is so caught up with the “black card” crowd some of us suffered Not only was the service painfully slow the food was sub par at best. What’s so frustrating is that we have been visiting the island every year for more than twenty years. This is the first time on the island that we have not left a gratuity at the end of our meal. I started with the grilled octopus and Tillie the escargot. Both were just ok. We then split a green salad that was less than memorable. I had the mixed fishes with a pasta side and Tillie had the sweetbreads with green beans.
My fish was somewhere between cool and room temp. Tillie said her sweetbreads were tasteless. None of this occurred without the owner walking around allegedly keeping an eye on things. I don’t usually speak up when a meal is not up to standards, but this one had to be called out. While I may not throw around the black card and order $$$$ bottles of wine, I have faithfully supported the islands restaurants and retail establishments for a long time and don’t think this kind of treatment should go unnoticed. Here’s to great things to come the rest of the week.

Wow! Jimmy, I’m sorry that your night went that way. We planned dinner there, but canceled due to an invitation to a family dinner. Sounds like we picked right!

Thanks Kevin! It’s a Beautiful Easter morning and time to move on! Headed out to the Anglican Church for the 9:00 service

Sorry it did not go well for you J And T. QG is a regular place for us. Any place can have a bad nite...so many details and things that can slip. Saturday night is rough in Gustavia,less parking available than ever.. Especially difficult with after race events. Hope the rest of your dining goes well.

I agree, you started at L’Esprit...always in the top dining tier. Jean-Claude rocks.

We always begin every trip with the visit to L'Esprit. Shaking hands with JC is like a good luck sign for a prefect vacation.

My wife and I had dinner at both in mid January and thoroughly enjoyed both!-QG was our Sunday night meal and the food was good and it was a fun atmosphere-would definitely go back. L'Esprit has been a main stay for us for years and never disappoints!

l'esprit is always our first night go to and usually at least one more. Sorry about QG. Maybe they will read your post and invite you to return and make amends.

Just checking my list of reservations for next month to see what day of week booked in for QG...a Mon, L'Esprit & Tamarin both on Saturdays...so we avoid parking issue in Gustavia. In past years, many, we avoid town on a Sat. nite because of parking & the weekend heavier reservations...our practice has been to not dine out every meal, but cook in for lighter choices. Have ahad excellent lunches & dinners at QG. Bad timing for the original poster.

A follow up to the last three nights. We had dinner at Sereno Easter Sunday night and the food and atmosphere were both very good. The manager Max is a delightful guy. Then Monday night the always excellent Santa Fe did not disappoint. David does a great job and it’s always a must visit. Last night was Eddy’s and it was the best meal we’ve had! Let me also say it was as crowded as I’ve ever see a SB restaurant and they didn’t miss a beat. As busy as they were Eddy’s wife took the time to visit with us and that really added to the night. So much so I left my phone there and have to go back after 5:30 today to retrieve it! It’s back to Gustavia for Galawa tonight and La Bananier tomorrow night. I’ll update later. Amy I saw the croque on the QG menu, but just can’t do it for dinner! I’am typing this as I sit at an outside table at Creperie just finishing a ham,cheese,egg crepe. Waiting on my brown sugar & cinnamon crepe!

Have fun at Galawa. We always enjoy our lunches there. Have not dined there recently for dinner. Looking forward to your report. Keep posting about your adventures, we love to read your posts!