Maya’s - first visit, won’t be the last

MantyPam

SBH Insider
I hesitated posting a recap of our dinner last night, as I know Maya’s can be polarizing, but we had one of our best meals on the island last night.

In past trips, we stuck with our tried and true favorites, as the feedback for Maya’s could be hit or miss. We decided to throw caution to the wind and give it a try last evening. It was a hit! I can’t say enough about Dora, the lovely hostess and the entire staff - all very delightful and our service was superb!

We had a wonderful view as we were seated at a table along the railing - relaxing to listen to the waves and watch the twinkling lights of the boats/ships. We started with 2 appetizers to share - the crab cakes and the white asparagus. We have eaten more than our fair share of crab cakes and Bill and I both said these were probably the best we’ve had. The flavor was amazing and it was truly a “crab” cake - no filler - only the wonderfully fresh crab and a mix of spices. I am contemplating a return visit this week just for those crab crakes again!

Bill’s entree of local red snapper in a green curry sauce was the star of the evening. Delicate snapper, almost poached, was served in a light, frothy curry sauce - it almost melted in your mouth! Very light and full of flavor! I chose the local mahi-mahi, which was simply grilled. A few minutes into my dish, Randy appeared to ask if would prefer a little more spice for the fish, (yes please!) and came back with a small cup with a mixture of habanero sauce, which added a nice amount of zestiness to my fish. Each entree was served with carrots and green beans, along with a side of rice.

I know previous reviews have mentioned how well Maya’s does a “simple” side of vegetables. Simple, in this case, means bursting with freshness and flavor. Case in point, I despise cooked carrots - the grilled carrots last evening had a charred sweetness, while also tasting if they were just freshly picked out of the garden; I thoroughly enjoyed them! We ended dinner with the chocolate cake and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and a shot of tasty rum. The entire evening was fantastic! Maya and Randy both stopped by our table twice to check on things, it appeared they were visiting each table. Both were equally friendly and gracious.

Maya’s will definitely be added to our rotation of favorites. Portion-size has also been discussed here - no complaints - each dish had generous portions (my Mahi was actually larger than I preferred) and the entire meal was very satisfying. We are going to our “usual” favorite tonight - Orega- and we both said it will be a high bar to top last night’s meal at Maya’s.

Don’t be alarmed at the road construction to Maya’s -the road is open, you just have to travel carefully!

Pam what another fine report to see this morning. I agree with all you wrote. Just wanted to let you know that the menu is different every night so no guarantee the crab cakes will be back this week. You can ask when making the reservation and maybe lightning will strike twice for you. It took me two years of trying to get there for Maya's highly recommended veal chop!

The duck confit and the Sea Bass were our favorites at Orega this year. Enjoy.

There are menu changes since last year, 17-18.. Some new things added, 18-19.,and some taken away.

The wrap starter and the veal chop are no longer on the current menu.

... the menu is different every night so no guarantee the crab cakes will be back this week.

Thank you for the heads up, Amy! While the crab cake was fantastic, perhaps a new menu will offer yet another unexpected favorite!

I have to also mention that while we’re missing our cats at home, we got such a kick out of seeing Maya’s resident cat hop into one of the open cars next to our table! He/she looked like they were ready to go for a spin around the island!

Great review, Pam! We are true Maya’s fans and have been for many years. Love that spicy green sauce on any of the fresh fish they serve...always a go to for me. And that chocolate cake is to die for...another favorite of mine. We already have our 2 dinner reservations for our upcoming trip beginning next week...always our first night dinner choice! We will look forward to your upcoming restaurant and trip reviews for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Gayle

The cat, Formerly known as Fiona, and now renamed Mr Fiona sure eats well and visits many a table.

Our favorite at Orega is the duck and Greg’s smoke filled cocktail. One item to always remember at Maya’s is to always use the valet as it can be quite difficult doing it yourself.

Maya's has been our favorite restaurant on the island for many years! We always visit twice during our stay, with one of them being our last night. Service and friendliness are always great, and food terrific! Dora is a great host, and we always enjoy talking with Randy and Maya. Top of our list!

Maya's has been our favorite restaurant on the island for many years! We always visit twice during our stay, with one of them being our last night. Service and friendliness are always great, and food terrific! Dora is a great host, and we always enjoy talking with Randy and Maya. Top of our list!
Thanks for saving me the time. Agree 100%.

They will be thrilled to see you Andy. You will be treated like a king! And maybe---just maybe---you will change your opinion and become a fan! The descriptions of Maya's focus on fresh vegetables are spot-on----she doesn't smother food with fancy sauces. Sauces are presented on the side and the food stands on its own with wonderful flavor. So glad you are going to give Maya's another chance.

Thanks Julianne. Just pile it on. :devillaugh: I expect that being with King Dennis will at least get me a table away from the kitchen and more attention.

Maya’s is always a class act....looking forward to dining there in a few weeks after missing them last year...