Maybe better to say nothing

crescentbeach

SBH Insider
It seems that we inevitably find ourselves defending St. Bart’s while traveling abroad. Conversations tend to turn to places in the world you’ve traveled to and after 26 years of visiting St. Bart’s it’s at the top of our list. More then I can remember we hear it’s over, too crowded, too many cars, overbuilt, and so on. On a recent trip to Brazil I got into quite a flap with a couple who just wouldn’t let it go. In the end, I simple said it’s not a problem for them, no one’s making them go, a bit curt, but they deserved it. We could do with fewer cars though.

To each his own...many happy places to enjoy in our wonderful world.
agree :100:

Seems silly to argue either side of the subject because it is indeed so subjective. I could care less if people I talk to like St Barths or not and don't try to convince them or defend it. As a matter of fact I try to caution certain people about going there that I think may not appreciate going to a beach without the greatest sand in the world and zero amenities and may want different types of restos as well. Yes, there is St Jean and the such and yes there are a plethora of different restaurants but that can be found many places and not what makes St Barths special to me personally. It is very expensive and not easy to get to. So while I think most everyone would enjoy it if they went, I think there are definitely better options for some. On the opposite side of the spectrum I can see some people not appreciating the trucks and scooters and traffic and parking issues in Gustavia and wanting more of the deserted feel on some parts of the Island that other Islands have more of. For me, I love it...

À chacun son goût eh?

I am very happy when people don't like StB actually. That way fewer people, and more less-annoying types, visit the place.

The old Nikki staff tee shorts read TELL ONLY YOUR BEST FRIENDS to keep masses away to keep the specialness of the island.

It's not for everybody, but it certainly is for us! We have discussed with friends we have made over the years in St Barts not "overselling" our island. Not everyone get's it, and that is quite alright with us!

Cheryl and I totally agree especially with sxmbeachlover it is not for everybody however since 1987 certainly for us. We get it and all of you get it. We just spoke with St. Barth friends yesterday and they are not going back because of the traffic and the noise. We choose not to focus on traffic and noise. What traffic and what noise? Enjoy the beautiful vibe of St. Barth.

We had the unexpected opportunity to return to St Barth last month after being away from the island for nearly 10 years. Since our move "out west" I had talked myself into thinking that going back wasn't really necessary. With all the easy flights to/from Hawaii - why bother? Well...not anymore. We have a trip planned to Maui with our daughter next month over spring break, but all I can think about is the villa I just rented in SBH for this November. I have officially been bitten by "the bug!"

I never really try to defend the island to anyone, if fact, I try to discourage those I know from going. Most of the people I know enjoy the all-inclusive resorts of the other various islands or taking cruises to the other major destinations.

I settled on the island for my honeymoon years ago based upon the slight difficulty getting there. I figured the more difficulty involved the less amount of people will be there. My wife was extremely skeptical, but instantly fell in love when we walked into VDD. We don't get to the island every year, but when we do it is a good time.

I often find myself looking at other destinations. I find myself trying to obtain similar accommodations to a private villa in SBH (large space with a view or a private pool). I have always come back to the conclusion that there is some amount of value in SBH even if others don't see it.... and I don't force it upon them.

Cheryl and I totally agree especially with sxmbeachlover it is not for everybody however since 1987 certainly for us. We get it and all of you get it. We just spoke with St. Barth friends yesterday and they are not going back because of the traffic and the noise. We choose not to focus on traffic and noise. What traffic and what noise? Enjoy the beautiful vibe of St. Barth.
And when you come to the end of your hike/walk and Colombier Beach finally comes into view, there is no traffic, no parking issue and the most beautiful, private, relaxing beach I've ever seen and sometimes it makes you feel like you are the only ones on the Island...

And when you come to the end of your hike/walk and Colombier Beach finally comes into view, there is no traffic, no parking issue and the most beautiful, private, relaxing beach I've ever seen and sometimes it makes you feel like you are the only ones on the Island...

Amen to that Jim A