Ain't no fish!

Growing up in my Queens neighborhood..nomeat for Catholics during lent.

I got hit in the forehead by a thrown rock once. Went to school wearing proud dabs of cureall mercurochrome. Everyone in my Junior High wanted to know where I went to church and got pink ashes!

I'm not Catholic but I always thought it was no meat during Lent which is why Carnival is called that, for carne, or meat... this may not be a good explanation but I found it on line:

Meat was forbidden during Lent, so during the Mardi Gras and Carnival-- the word carnival comes from the Latin phrase for "farewell to flesh"-- families used up the meat in their larders..
That was not the Catholic Church teaching but I suppose every parish or diocese or individual could have their own rules. Lent was and is no meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays. Think about it- no meat which includes poultry for 4O days? The butcher/poultry shops would go out of business. People who were not Catholic may have thought that was the case but it wasn’t.

103D9B9C-5293-4F8D-93D9-1090421DFD92.jpeg
74B796E5-A561-4FDF-B7C3-7990C76EA56B.jpeg

I got hit in the forehead by a thrown rock once. !

Wowzers! Was the rock throwing a lent-related issue?!!? Just like Jesus always taught.............if someone is different, stone them to death!!

I got hit in the forehead by a thrown rock once. Went to school wearing proud dabs of cureall mercurochrome. Everyone in my Junior High wanted to know where I went to church and got pink ashes!

I'm sorry you got pinged in your noggin, but that is a damn funny story, my friend!!!

Just one of the hard knocks endured in growing up and running with three brothers and nor cutting out paper dolls or posing HOUSE. Other issues too, but they will have to wait for a future chat.

Just one of the hard knocks endured in growing up and running with three brothers and nor cutting out paper dolls or posing HOUSE. Other issues too, but they will have to wait for a future chat.

I look forward to it! I can relate to the three brothers...I have scars, too! :wink2:

I must say, from my experiences growing up on this Earth, longer than I care to admit. I have found it better to grow up with thick skin that be a sissy that sits and cries in the corner. I have the greatest respect for Amy and Missy. Lord knows, we have enough snowflakes growing up these days.