Tipping for an excellent and hands on villa manager?

jbm595

SBH Member
Hi,
What is the policy for tipping a very hands on and excellent villa manager? I have no idea what the tip is based off of and if that is standard practice to tip and if so what at what percentage? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

I don't believe that the subject of tipping a villa manager has ever come up.

Tipping the agency person who leads you to the villa and explains the villa has come up, with the typical tip being 10-20.

Tipping the housekeeper/maid has come up, and suggested tips have generally been an amount, rather than a percentage. Most seem to tip 5-10 per bedroom per day.

But never has the subject of tipping a villa manager who is not the maid/housekeeper come up.

As to tipping in $ vs. €, I usually tip in € because I usually have € in my pocket. If I only had $ then I would tip in $.

Good grief! We are meant to tip the agency person who opens/shows us the villa, like in a hotel? I must be €250 in arrears by now!

Is this rule only for tipping-in-the-DNA-Americans? or do visiting French/English/Russians/others do this too?

Good grief! We are meant to tip the agency person who opens/shows us the villa, like in a hotel? I must be €250 in arrears by now!

Is this rule only for tipping-in-the-DNA-Americans? or do visiting French/English/Russians/others do this too?

You are right but if the agency person loads and onloads my luggage I will tip. The villa mgr gets a big smile. :)

Does your villa manager do concierge type services for you? Then I think a tip would be earned.

we tip the person who takes us to our villa...and who then explains everything about the villa, etc... we then use that person as our island contact for whatever need may arise...the tip given is $50... it appears to be worth it as the response time to our questions results in quick, detailed answers

Thanks all, especially for the specifics. Going forward, starting this very trip, I'll deploy a multi-pronged attack of money and smiles.

Even though we have gotten to know our Villa Manager over the years and she has always quickly responded to anything we query about, we have only given our appreciation with words. On the other hand, we have always been generous with the cleaning ladies in terms of cash/ dollars or Euros. We agree with Andy on the “big smile.”

We tip twice the person who is assigned as our concierge from Wimco. And it’s worth it. When we arrive we give a small tip around 20 Euros and depending how attentive and the service we get, tip again as we leave and more than the first tip. It worked well for us. Our young son loves Kinder Suprise Eggs and we used them for positive motivation. The first time we met our concerige from Wimco, someone had cleared the whole island out of Kinder Suprise. We asked him for help and he went everywhere on the island looking for them for us but neither of us could find any. On the next trip to the island, he saw our name on the list of arriving guest and contacted us. Before arriving he went to different stores, took pictures of the different types of Kinde Suprises and texted to us. When we arrived to our Villa, waiting was our Kinder Suprises, we were very happy. Luckily our son has out grown his love of these cool desserts. Unfortunately our concerige has left Wimco to pursue a career in wine sales back in France.