Sunbathing, redux

Technically, total nudity on the beach is illegal on St Barth, and decades ago there were signs to that effect. That being said, clothing optional is practiced by some on Saline beach, and they won’t be offended if you choose not to participate. There probably aren’t as many topless women on the other beaches as there once were, but there are some.

Technically, total nudity on the beach is illegal on St Barth, and decades ago there were signs to that effect. That being said, clothing optional is practiced by some on Saline beach, and they won’t be offended if you choose not to participate. There probably aren’t as many topless women on the other beaches as there once were, but there are some.

There were always topless women on St. Jean- Pelican Beach.

And thanks Kevins for the handy guide. I wonder whether the current vibe trends less or more optional. And I suppose that remains to be seen, like much else.

So, on what to wear (or not), whilst sunning in St Barth. What are the rules, where and when?
No hard rules (why we love SBH non?) I've been to the island 3 times over the last year (4th time next week) and always see nude sunbathers on extreme ends of Saline and far right side of Gouverneur regardless of season. In terms of toplessness I definitely see much more topless women (on practically all beaches) in summer than winter. In terms of swimwear, due to Euro/American/Latin visitor mix you practically see everything from Speedos/Brazilian thongs to 1 pieces. Enjoy! ;)

I have a very amusing memory of my then 5-year-old son staring at two gorgeous topless ladies walking along St. Jean Beach. I was worried that he was going to make a comment about their semi-nude state, but instead he shouted "Mom ! They're smoking ! " :)