Wine

FamilyTraveler

SBH Insider
Trying to find some of the delicious wines we sampled on the island in NY without much luck. What are the favorites that you have been able to locate in the states?

Oh how I wish I had taken pictures of the wine menus at the restaurants.

Chateau Minuty rosé...we get it at Total Wine. Also buy Domaines Ott there. Have also found Les Valentines rosé online and had it delivered.

One reason that I sometimes pillage wine lists on St Barth is that I find bottles on them which I don’t expect to see at home.

I’m a Bordeaux lover and have found a bunch of my SBH favs at Sherry Lehman in NYC. Chateau Lalande Boris and Le Tour de Pez are a couple of very drinkable wines at reasonable prices.

Phil

You can find 99% of all the wines on all the wine lists and all the shops in the US. Just go on wine-searcher.com
and put in your search parameters as to name , vintage, etc. and most importantly the state you want to search. If you leave this field blank, it will search all states and all countries. When you find the wine and the least expensive store selling it, you can click on the link to the shop and order it.
For the Westchester resident check out ZACHYS, Westchester Wine Warehouse, Varmax, Suburban Wine, to name a few. All of these have knowledgeable people working the floor. Total wine does not have enough people on the floor that know wine. Total Wine also owns 51% of the labels on the shelves. They are privately bottled for them under contract.

Whispering Angel is widely available in Austin, Texas! Thank, God!!! :up::cool:
Missy just reading my Charleston(SC) Magazine & insert for the soon to be wine & food festival next weekend...ad for The Palm, a new rose' by Whispering Angel got a 1/2 page ad. Palm fronds on the label & neck ring. You know who owns the brand ?

Missy just reading my Charleston(SC) Magazine & insert for the soon to be wine & food festival next weekend...ad for The Palm, a new rose' by Whispering Angel got a 1/2 page ad. Palm fronds on the label & neck ring. You know who owns the brand ?

I've had The Palm and found it delightful. If you like a good Provencal Rosé, this one will not disappoint!

I love Chardonnay. Reserve Bourgogne. Had a complimentary glass from Mario when he worked at Emaraude Plage. Loved it! Picked it up at the supermarket at the airport and stock our fridge in St. Barths when we vacation. Took a picture and our local wine store ordered it here in Long Island and has stocked their shelves ever since. People in Port Washington love the wine as much as I do. Bouchard Pere & Fils.

I love Chardonnay. Reserve Bourgogne. Had a complimentary glass from Mario when he worked at Emaraude Plage. Loved it! Picked it up at the supermarket at the airport and stock our fridge in St. Barths when we vacation. Took a picture and our local wine store ordered it here in Long Island and has stocked their shelves ever since. People in Port Washington love the wine as much as I do. Bouchard Pere & Fils.
Bouchard Beaujolais Nouveau have enjoyed on SBH, occassionally can find in our part of SC at the right time ! and last couple years has been Joseph Drouhin bn even better !

We drink Whispering Angel - Palm Rose frequently. It’s an affordable, light & dry Rose and my Wife’s favorite part, it has a screw off cap. I love Rock Angle by Whispering Angel but at twice the price as Palm Rose, hard to justify drinking it often.

I love Rock Angle by Whispering Angel but at twice the price as Palm Rose, hard to justify drinking it often.

There are 3 rosés (Rock Angel, Les Clans, Garrus), a rouge (Déesse Diane), and a blanc (Déesse Astrée) that are Château d'Esclans domaine wines.

Whispering Angel appears to be a négociant wine labeled under "Caves d'Esclans". It is an AOC Côtes de Provence like the higher level, estate wines.

The Palm appears to be a pure négociant product. It is an AOC Côteaux d'Aix-en-Provence, though the label says simply Rosé de Provence. It is akin to Domaines Ott's "By.Ott": a pure négociant product. Interestingly, the new The Palm appears on the English language website but not on the French language site. Marketing focus I suppose?

Just in case anybody else was wondering what this word meant.

négociant in British. French (neɡɔsjɑ̃) a wine merchant or wholesaler; specifically, one who buys grapes, grape juice, or partially fermented or finished wine from others and sells the wine produced under his or her own name.

négociant in British. French (neɡɔsjɑ̃) a wine merchant or wholesaler; specifically, one who buys grapes, grape juice, or partially fermented or finished wine from others and sells the wine produced under his or her own name.
Thanks Jeanette but I don’t need a French dictionary to buy wine. It’s whatever tastes good. Except for some roses it normally is not a French wine.

Jeanette, I would guess that in the case of Whispering Angel the domaine purchases grapes from nearby properties, over which they exercise considerable control in terms of vineyard management, then vinify, bottle, and market the wine themselves under the Caves (not Château) d'Esclans label.

Regarding The Palm, Côteaux d'Aix-en-Provence is quite a ways from La Motte. The label just lists it as a product of Whispering Angel, not even Caves d'Esclans. One would think its vinified elsewhere? Maybe by others? Pretty vague.

But, as Andy says, drink what you like and can afford and makes you happy. It's always nice to be informed about what one is buying, though.

I haven't had the new wine. I've had the Whispering Angel a number of times. As well as Rock Angel and Les Clans (but not Garrus). They are clearly a step up from WA . . . but not always in the budget.

You can find 99% of all the wines on all the wine lists and all the shops in the US. Just go on wine-searcher.com
and put in your search parameters as to name , vintage, etc. and most importantly the state you want to search. If you leave this field blank, it will search all states and all countries. When you find the wine and the least expensive store selling it, you can click on the link to the shop and order it.
For the Westchester resident check out ZACHYS, Westchester Wine Warehouse, Varmax, Suburban Wine, to name a few. All of these have knowledgeable people working the floor. Total wine does not have enough people on the floor that know wine. Total Wine also owns 51% of the labels on the shelves. They are privately bottled for them under contract.
IMO Total wine is much better than all of them (disclaimer - I don't know Suburban). I use it as my price checker because I know their prices are really good and the store is like the size of a home depot. You can fit the entire Varmax store in Total Wines California red section alone. I don't usually need help at wine stores but there is a particular guy with glasses at total wine that I find good. He knows his Bordeaux's which is something I do have questions on. I never heard about them owning 51% of the wines they sell and find that very hard to believe based on the number of wines they sell, but if that is even close to true it must be the cheap wines. They have a great selection of higher end wines and of popular wines and in general their prices blow Varmax and others away. If you are from the area and like high end wine get on Rye Brook Wines mailing list. Store is small and nothing special and about as expensive as Varmax, but you can order online and go pick up wines that they run specials on and find some great deals. The specials can at times show up on wine searcher as the lowest in the Country and certainly the area.