Rain sensation

tomb1954

SBH Insider
A good, heavy shower in Pointe Milou tonight, about 22:00. The smell of wet earth was as I remember from summertime as a kid - wonderful! And now, there's a cacophony of frog peeping. A good night to be in and outside all at once. Life is good!

...The smell of wet earth was as I remember from summertime as a kid - wonderful!... Life is good!

Pertaining to petrichor - "the scent that arises from the earth after it rains"... "The word is constructed from Greek petra (πέτρα), meaning "stone", and īchōr (ἰχώρ), the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology."... the proposed mechanism with high speed video evidence from MIT and more recent work from MIT showing some potential ramifications.

A little about smells as memory triggers can be found here.

Two of my favorites are breaking open the sealed new box of Crayolas every September. Also the smell of chicken soup cooking as I entered the the hallways of my grandmother’s homes on Friday afternoons.

And here I thought IAMS was a pet food. Note, I never took LSD.

Sorry for the digression, but it was a quick reflex response to the thread.

thanks for understanding..

It can cut both ways (the smell of test sheets as they were handed out), but the positives outnumber the negatives. I like the crayolas! ��

No comment on the LSD.

Ahh, I also remember that smell of the mimeograph pages!

Also my brothers' model plane glue now that I am thinking of bygone days.

A good, heavy shower in Pointe Milou tonight, about 22:00. The smell of wet earth was as I remember from summertime as a kid - wonderful! And now, there's a cacophony of frog peeping. A good night to be in and outside all at once. Life is good!

Such delightful sensations...I can feel, hear and smell it from here, tomb1954.

Fresh cut grass in the Spring, September morning rains and humid Summer Jasmine in bloom...these are a few of my favorite smells.

Thanks for the this thread, tomb1954.

Pitter patter on the metal roof is a wonderful sensation! The crashing of the waves and the sunsets (and sunrises) from there are wonderful, with the winds blowing over the "Rock." And Mango for lunch just down the hill! AHHHHHHH!

Love everyone’s smell sensation rememberances. Being an equestrenne from way back (retired from it now), spending many hours at the show barn, I LOVE the smell of horses and barns and all that this environment encompasses, inside as well as outside in the pastures. Kind of odd, I guess, but very calming to me. Good memories!

I like the sound and smell of rain, but we’ve had enough in Virginia lately to last me for a while. Hoping it doesn’t follow us on vacation.

Love your post. Having spent so many years at Equestrian dressage shows with Anita’s family, I find humor in your post. I can understand and appreciate your post. Personally, I was not a fan of the smell of horse poop and swatting horse flies. LOL

I visited post Irma, couple times, several horses were lost in the hurricane. Was in operation my last visit to equine facility last November

Post-Irma, many of the horses were repatriated to mainland France and retired, but some still remain. There was a recent article in the local paper re3cently, but I don't recall the details.

I like the sound and smell of rain, but we’ve had enough in Virginia lately to last me for a while. Hoping it doesn’t follow us on vacation.

What, rain in Virginia? Guess we'll stay a bit longer, then. As usual this time of year, there are daily shower possibilities, typically short and followed by glorious weather. Come on down, and travel safely! Tom

What, rain in Virginia? Guess we'll stay a bit longer, then. As usual this time of year, there are daily shower possibilities, typically short and followed by glorious weather. Come on down, and travel safely! Tom
Finally supposed to stop tomorrow. Can’t get to SBH soon enough! Making my dinner reservation list now to add some sunshine to this dreary day.

Post-Irma, many of the horses were repatriated to mainland France and retired, but some still remain. There was a recent article in the local paper re3cently, but I don't recall the details.

A protracted saga that concluded in November when the horses were sent to mainland France - Irma-related injuries, inability to ride, and insufficient shelter were cited as the main issues... in addition to finding homes, sending the horses to the mainland was complicated by the need to quarantine - an agreement was reached to have the quarantine on the island before le dernier voyage des chevaux de Gouverneur... some Shetland ponies remain.

Here is story about finding a home for a horse - by Patrick Kavanaugh, told by Liam Clancy...

Love your post. Having spent so many years at Equestrian dressage shows with Anita’s family, I find humor in your post. I can understand and appreciate your post. Personally, I was not a fan of the smell of horse poop and swatting horse flies. LOL

OMG Dad, you had me laughing! It’s an acquired taste after many years spent in a very specific environment! I’m glad you can appreciate the memory...thanks! My one Thoroughbred was trained up to 3rd level dressage, but used him mostly as a Medal-Maclay and Hunter.