When we fell in love with St. Barths

Excellent. I don’t remember that many people that remember Castellets.

We dined at Les Castellets on our honeymoon. That was the only time that I either brought a necktie to, or wore one, on SBH. The necktie requirement was on paper only, and I've never brought one to SBH since.

Thrilled when after a great dinner We were invited to return on any afternoon so we could enjoy the view and take scenic photos.

We dined at Les Castellets on our honeymoon. That was the only time that I either brought a necktie to, or wore one, on SBH. The necktie requirement was on paper only, and I've never brought one to SBH since.
Our 1st villa rental was just below Castelet & we did take a look around but didn't dine there. Lovely woman showed us around...owner or manager or both ? That was awhile ago !

Loving the reminiscences! Like others, a day sail from SXM in 1985 (this is probably the only place I’d gloat about how long ago that was). A beautiful day on the water, a taxi tour with Constant Gumbs (we still rent from Odile and love that connection), then onto Chez Francine for grilled lobster. Love at first sight! Brought our ten month old son in 1987. We stayed at the old St. Barth’s Beach Hotel, “french spartan” would describe the accommodations, one of the rooms right on the beach, little kitchenette on the outside deck, perfect! Lots of memories since then, the kids are grown, we all were back three years ago and now we’re hoping to introduce our new granddaughter to this special place. It’s changed, so have we, but it will always be our caribbean home.
Here’s to many more years for everyone!

We too came over on a day sail from St. Maarten in 84 or 85. Husband got so sea sick on the way over he took the plane back. We took a taxi to St. Jean and had lunch at Fileo Beach. It looked like the perfect laid back place for us to visit again and again which is what we did every year except for 89 when our son was born. In 1990 when he was 14 months old he made his first trip and was back every year until he was in college. He still loves coming and is regretful he will not be joining us when we are again back in our favorite place. We have many wonderful memories over the years.

I Do!!=Lafayette Club was probably the most expensive lunch my wife and I have ever had!1-loved the menu in the sand and of course the models!!

I loved the planteurs that Lafayette Club served in goldfish bowl-sized goblets. They certainly helped with any price resistance that I had!

We're much later than anyone else in this conversation, but first-night dinner on our first trip in 2001 was at Marigot Bay Beach Club (covering all possibilities), per recommendation from our seasoned St. Barth friends. Wonderful place and food made better by the sigh of "we made it!" Wish we had given up skiing for warm sooner!

I still have their chambray shirt--white with blue lettering!

Loved that place.

Spot George often walking in Gustavia.

The shock of seeing the charge on the VISA bill when we got home was a hoot!

Our discovery of SBH was very much by chance and much more recently. My now husband was on a business trip and was reading the USA Today that had been delivered to his hotel room. He saw an article about SBH and brought it home because he thought is sounded perfect for a honeymoon (we weren't even dating at the time-he saved that article for basically 3 years!). In 2006 we made our first visit and fell in love with the island immediately. The views driving around the island and from our villa in Vitet immediatly captivated us. We also celebrated his 25th birthday at with dinner at Eden Rock on that trip so it will always be a special place for us. Can't wait to be back for trip number 5 soon!

Valerie,
So glad you discovery Paradise at such a young age. Wishing you a great 5th trip and many, many more together!

Valerie..he certainly planned ahead and managed to choose the perfect spot. Keep celebrating and enjoy the newest visit.

Our first trip was also in 2006. We discovered St Barts "by accident" after having the Isle de France hotel come up in a Google search for something else. It was love at first sight with the view of Flamands through the arch of the hotel. After researching more, we ended up booking Villa Kyody in Marigot. Booked that before I realized the flight that was required to get there. I don't love to fly, OMG. My husband told the very handsome Winair pilot loading the plane in SXM that it was our first time there and he replied that we would take off shortly as his co-pilot was at the bar getting a drink to calm his nerves for the flight over. LOL. It was quite the flight, did a nosedive at the end and haven't had one quite like that since. Thank God. Just when I thought the worst of the travel was over, we had to follow our villa guide zipping on his motor scooter all the way out to Marigot. Afraid to drive again that night, we rode shortly down the hill and had dinner at Le Rivage. We wondered what in the world we had gotten ourselves into, but by the end of our trip, we realized that SBH was our vacation heaven forever. We've been at least once or twice a year ever since with the exception of an ice storm derailing our trip in 2008. We are headed back next week and have hired a photographer to do our son's senior pics there since it's now our kids favorite place too!