Victoria Opens - Used to be Buccaneer, etc. in Gustavia

EddyG

SBH Insider
After what seemed like a year of construction/renovation, a new restaurant opened on the Gustavia harbor called Victoria. It used to be the home of several other restaurants, including the Buccaneer.

It's a soft opening with dinner not available until later this week or so, then lunch a week after that and then breakfast. I was told it's owned by a group with another place in Gustavia, but I forget which one.

It's very upscale with comfortable furnishings, great lighting and A/C. A Carib is 9e and cocktails are mostly from 12e to 22e. No menu was available. Did not ask how much a rose' was.

Here are a few photos from Sat.

DSC04843e.jpg

DSC04844e.jpg

DSC04846e.jpg

DSC04845e.jpg

DSC04847e.jpg

DSC04848e.jpg

DSC04850e.jpg

DSC04851e.jpg

DSC04852e.jpg

DSC04853e.jpg

Gorgeous shots, Eddy. Merci. That spot is a perfect location for a restaurant and lounge, I never understood why prior establishments didn't thrive there.

The restaurant in the former Carl Gustaf Hotel was called Victoria. I wonder if this is part of the new Hotel Barriere Le Carl Gustaf that also owns Shellona.

Thanks for posting, Eddy...nice pics. Looks lovely, but, will definitely miss the casual vibe of Victoria’s predecessors. We will wait and see what patrons have to say.

Looks interesting.

My recollection is that when Do Brazil was purchased, the seller required that the old Buccaneer be part of the deal.

Thank you so much for the excellent coverage you presented. We are looking forward to trying it out in several weeks.

It is part of the Carl Gustaf trio of properties — the Hotel, Victoria, & Shellona. Groupe Barriere’s concept is that Shellona is a “beach club” for its guests, & Victoria is its “city club.” Hotel guests will have priority status & “signing” privileges at each club, as they also remain open to the public.

If you pass by or go into Victoria, you may be interested in it’s construction. In effect, it’s a steel & glass box built within columns that form the original space — very much like the “mid-century” Philip Johnson glass house in East Hampton, NY . . . set within the original, old structure. It appears to have been built in an effort to withstand sea swells that often washed through the prior structure during storms.

I don't know...9e for a Caribe? The pics are beautiful, and maybe this is how St. Barth will/must go, but I wish for less "corporate" structure here. Maybe in St. Maarten...😯

Objectively, why should someone drinking a beer pay less for his/her spot at the bar/in the lounge than someone drinking un verre de vin or a cocktail?

Excellent point . . . the issue basically is the rental price for a piece of highly valued real estate.

I love it. Great looking vibe for a late night Cal-Va-Doz.

Shades of the old baz bar seating, too.

How do the drink prices compare to Baz Bar and Bagatelle? It is a PRIMO spot. Looks lovely and we wish them well.

Baz's website lists a Carib as €6.50, Tito's and Grey Goose vodkas as €12, but I don't recall if they add on for a mixer.

Looks lovely and I'm glad to see someone is taking advantage of the excellent location. New place for a sundowner. :cool:

Its all looks lovely if not overly expensive, and hopefully, this huge Bariere project will not meet the fate of the great renovation project in Carl Gustaf, which never had expected ROI and which sealed its demise.

I don't know...9e for a Caribe? The pics are beautiful, and maybe this is how St. Barth will/must go...
Definitely looks swankier than previous occupants of that space.

Times have changed for sailors these days... again...

If you pass by or go into Victoria, you may be interested in it’s construction. In effect, it’s a steel & glass box built within columns that form the original space — very much like the “mid-century” Philip Johnson glass house in East Hampton, NY . . . set within the original, old structure. It appears to have been built in an effort to withstand sea swells that often washed through the prior structure during storms.

Interesting... good they kept the roof design - water from above was one of the reasons that Johnson found he could not live in the house - the flat ceiling resulted in more than a few rain-induced floods... the other reason seems even more obvious but I don't claim to be an architect...

I may be the only one, but I spend an awful lot of money eating and drinking at some of the most popular St Barth restaurants. I'd gladly pay $12 for a cocktail if it comes with the view and I assume vibe of that end table in the last pic, sitting outdoors overlooking the harbor.

I'm looking forward to giving it a try later in the year...

I'll concede on the ambience aspect - hard to beat the location! And if you're making me a tasty martini, etc, cerainly worth the price of admission. But I'm sticking with 9e to pop a bottle cap on a 1e (?) beer is a bit much. We retirees must watch our budgets! 🤓