Victoria Opens - Used to be Buccaneer, etc. in Gustavia

I can definitely see myself there, sipping bubbles while watching (as Marybeth coined) a sundowner. Thanks for sharing the photos, Ed.

It is a great location. Always amazed me at the last place but TBH I always saw the previous place as a place for day tourists...

Objectively, why should someone drinking a beer pay less for his/her spot at the bar/in the lounge than someone drinking un verre de vin or a cocktail?

Well, one of them can be ordered and served within seconds with a simple bottle opener. With a cocktail, depending on the complexity, it could have 10 or more ingredients and 10 different steps in the preparation.

Well, one of them can be ordered and served within seconds with a simple bottle opener. With a cocktail, depending on the complexity, it could have 10 or more ingredients and 10 different steps in the preparation.

I understand that a craft cocktail and a bottle of beer drunk from the bottle are not going to be same price. But 9 euros for a beer versus 15 or more euros for a craft cocktail might be reasonable given that each customer is consuming the same amount of poshly decorated, very expensive real estate. The idea that your beer will be similarly priced to one imbibed sitting at a picnic table drinking from a plastic cup seems unrealistic. IMHO

Additional photos from Victoria’s FB page:

A12D682D-9211-4EF4-B13F-18CF921E34FC.jpeg

FC0849CB-DC25-4633-99CD-0F736F691E38.jpeg

C73EF3B5-9A94-434A-BD9C-98F7795B94BA.jpeg

...The idea that your beer will be similarly priced to one imbibed sitting at a picnic table drinking from a plastic cup seems unrealistic. IMHO

There is something to be said about pricing beer to discourage the sort of patron whose idea of a good night out might include dancing to this....

Off topic but Izzy video post are the best posts IMHO!
I like Izzy’s approach and style too.

Merci - courtesy of Marcel Azzola, French accordéoniste extraordinaire whose playing with Jacques Brel in the heated up part of Vesoul (section after 1:19) gave rise to the phrase "chauffe, Marcel, chauffe"*... Azzola, passed away last month at age 91 - his playing here is very much worth a listen for accordion fans (and cynics)... way, way off topic but perhaps of some potential interest to visitors to a French island... and, for the Brel clip, a way for those interested in checking their French comprehension (lyrics and translation here).

*kinda the French equivalent of "play it Steve" from about the same time...

I love it. Great looking vibe for a late night Cal-Va-Doz.

Shades of the old baz bar seating, too.

Always think of Mario at Filao when I hear Calvados. Jim would walk down there from Les Ilets for his Calvados and chat with Mario.

We walked by it daily during our early morning walks and they were hard at work getting it ready. Also the planters along the harbor were almost filled with top soil and soon plants. The glass at Victoria is thick and should withstand heavy storms. Great location and with the management of Guerite and Shellona behind it, a great addition to the island “repetoire.”

I had a quick dinner at Victoria last night, they are still in soft opening mode and turned away people who did not have reservations... it's "dressy" inside, as St Barth places go, but we ate outside where there a few tables on the right side of the building if looking at if from the water. A few menu items were not yet available but all three people at our table enjoyed what we did eat: lamb chops very good; octopus salad tender and tasty; delicious risotto with mushrooms.... the chef listed on the menu is the same as Shellona, although the menu is more Italian than Greek and they are expecting an Italian chef any day now.. I predict it will be a success!