Beach glass.

Hawke

Senior Insider
My wife is an avid collector of beach glass. She has surrounded a mirror in our guest bathroom with beach glass from our last visit. Any other collectors, and which beaches do you visit?

My wife goes to Shell Beach every morning first thing. She generally comes back with a small zip lock bag of glass.

We collect it, and have been for many years, here, in Barbados, in the NC Outer Banks, and at home, on our sand shore of the James River. No red glass, but best finds to date are a grayish pink bottle stopper (JR) and an almost intact small blue Phillips MOM bottle (OBX). Here, our best luck has been at Shell beach and at Lorient (especially snorkeling right along the water's edge). Happy hunting! Tom

Anse des Cayes. Hands down. Start where the bridge goes over to Anse de Lezard and walk along the beach towards Manapany. The first 1/4 of that stretch has lots of beach glass. Have fun!

Shell Beach has been the best place to find my treasures, will have to try Anse de Caye suggestion. Other beaches, Bahamas Out Islands, some at Cat Island, most at Elbow Cay, Abaco. Never found any red, 1 bright blue.

Over the years, I have collected sea glass from beaches in many places during our travels. Never found red—but white, black, aqua, pink, dark blue and several shades of green. Block Island has yielded a beautiful selection! On St. Barth I find the best sea glass at Public.

I just started a collection last year after my first visit to Shell Beach. I found mostly green but also a red. I had no idea until a few weeks ago that red was so rare.

Oh, a topic very near and dear to my heart.

I've found some stunning pieces of uber-opaque sea glass on Shell Beach, Public, Corossol, Lorient (especially near the base of Autour du Rocher), Toiny and Anse de Cayes. I say 'uber-opaque' because I don't pick up pieces that have visibility through them; one's that still need to be tumbled in the sea for a few more years. I'm also very picky about the size I pick up versus that which I leave behind for others to find.

The elusive red piece of "sea glass from Public" was a gift from BBT and Tommye. The funny story is that Bob and Tommye had been toying with my emotions for days prior to presenting me the piece. "Oh, Missy....it's a huge chunk! You're going to love it!" Etc., etc... Turns out the beautiful, large, piece of red was the plastic from a busted tail light found in the parking lot of Mayas. The presentation garnered loads of laughter. When I remember that presentation, I still giggle.

To note: I've still not found a piece of red. I'm still looking!

Those of you who search, do the fellow sea glass searchers a solid: If you find a piece that still needs some ocean action, throw it as far as you can back into the sea to "cook" a bit more.

We run across unripened beach glass frequently. We always return to sender for a bit more maturation! �� Christmas gift to Nancy a few years back was a square vase for displaying beach glass and a copy of "Pure Sea Glass : Discovering Nature's Vanishing Gems", which is informative and well illustrated. We have several vases filled now, along with just about any other vessel we came up with, distributed all throughout our house. I hate to think of the threat to toes and feet, but I do appreciate the beauty when its edges round and the patina appears! Tom

We find it in northern Michigan. We also found a lady who hunts it and makes beautiful necklaces, earrings and bracelets out of it.

Beach glass?

LOL. I PLANT some every fall on Fire Island.

If I'm lazy, I just start grabbing wine/beer bottles etc from recycling in Sept, dump em in a 5 gallon bucket and mash em up w a 10lb sledge. Wait til low tide and boom! Off they go

If I'm devious, I go on Ebay and buy pounds of leavings from stained glass users...one year, it was ALL red...5 lbs.

Recycling aside, my grandkids are gonna find beach glass...

What's the worst that can happen? It reverts to sand?

Beach glass?

LOL. I PLANT some every fall on Fire Island.

If I'm lazy, I just start grabbing wine/beer bottles etc from recycling in Sept, dump em in a 5 gallon bucket and mash em up w a 10lb sledge. Wait til low tide and boom! Off they go

If I'm devious, I go on Ebay and buy pounds of leavings from stained glass users...one year, it was ALL red...5 lbs.

Recycling aside, my grandkids are gonna find beach glass...

What's the worst that can happen? It reverts to sand?

Still netural and witty i see.

Always good to see a Fred post.