Regarding Motor scooters

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
We have read on the Forum about many complaints regarding motor scooters. Yes there are a lot of them but overall, we think it’s fine. They do pass you quickly and questionably on curves and never wait behind you, always going to the front on the little construction delays. We saw a young man who broke his clavicle from a scooter accident and have seen several ambulances with their sirens on and have assumed possible scooter accidents. And then there is the little yellow shirt “monument “ alongside the road coming out of St. Jean going toward Orient which we assume may have been from a scooter mishap. But overall, after reading Forum comments we expected much worse and have found all is fine in terms of driving among the scooters! Life is Good!

We have read on the Forum about many complaints regarding motor scooters... But overall, after reading Forum comments we expected much worse and have found all is fine in terms of driving among the scooters! Life is Good!

Good to hear!
I too had read many complaints. This had worried me.
A few examples:

If we choose one item on the island that makes us nervous, it is the scooters and motorcycles....

We wish something could be done about the dangerous passing and behavior- wheelies etc. that would put a stop or at least decrease this problem.

As much as we love the island and it's little roads, they can be treacherous at times, especially when they are wet and/or the scooters/motorcycles are out and about weaving, passing and tailgating!

We were told there are scooter accidents every day. One tried to pass us on a curve and we continued along and had to go back behind us. He showed us his middle finger like it was all our fault.

Yes there are a lot of them but overall, we think it’s fine. They do pass you quickly and questionably on curves and never wait behind you, always going to the front on the little construction delays. We saw a young man who broke his clavicle from a scooter accident and have seen several ambulances with their sirens on and have assumed possible scooter accidents. And then there is the little yellow shirt “monument “ alongside the road coming out of St. Jean going toward Orient...

Scooters passing quickly and questionably on curves, a broken clavicle from a scooter accident and seeing several ambulances with sirens...

And you consider this "fine?" A serious question, BTW...

There are too many deaths on St. Barts attributed to scooter/motorcycle incidents. Death is permanent.

"We saw a young man who broke his clavicle from a scooter accident and have seen several ambulances with their sirens on and have assumed possible scooter accidents"

but yes indeed ALL is fine, Life is good! (Well except for those that lose theirs).

in all seriousness, yes SBH still remains one of my favourite, chill places on this earth, however the behaviour and attitude of the scooter drivers in the last few visits on this island have me seeing flames on the side of my face.

We found the opposite on this trip. Yes they go to the front of the line when waiting to go through the one lane construction zones but we did not observe the “crazy” behavior we have seen on other trips. We would prefer that they were gone from the island for a number of reasons but many people may not be able to afford cars that live and work on the island. If all of the scooters became cars, think of the increased traffic.

Let's not lump all scooters into the same category. I have rented a scooter/motorcycle every year for 25+ years and have cars trying to pass me!

sadly many of the young people try to be daredevils when it comes to passing and the consequences are deadly.. I had to slam on the brakes of my car the other day to avoid slamming into someone on a scooter passing a line of cars clearly without the space to do so... and they are not so young, one of the fatal accidents this year was 50+