USBC Preclearance coming to SXM!

This will be great, but if you have Global Entry, you already breeze through Customs and Immigration in the US. And if you have checked bags, the time you'd spend in line waiting to show your passport is now replaced by waiting at baggage claim for your bags. To fully realize the benefits of Pre Clearance or Global Entry you need to have carry-on only, otherwise you'll just end up waiting around in a different part of the airport.

This will be great, but if you have Global Entry, you already breeze through Customs and Immigration in the US. And if you have checked bags, the time you'd spend in line waiting to show your passport is now replaced by waiting at baggage claim for your bags. To fully realize the benefits of Pre Clearance or Global Entry you need to have carry-on only, otherwise you'll just end up waiting around in a different part of the airport.

Good points.
the way I see it, this would still be a huge win in that pre-clearance will be especially useful for those travellers connecting to other cities in the US and Canada as any checked luggage will go on to the final destination and you don't need to clear baggage in the hub cities and also will prevent a lot of mis-connections. Obviously some hubs are better than others i.e. Atlanta is pretty streamlined and straightforward however Miami is currently a huge nightmare as it can take up to 2 hours to clear customs and bags and then make way to connecting flight.

I would rather get my bags from SB Commuter in a small airport than travel the length and depth of the airport in the US (Philly) to go thru customs and immigration. And this is going home not coming in.