St. Jean Beach needs sand!

pirate007

SBH Member
After my 4th visit in six years, I sure hope the local government decides to renourish this beach. I have an extensive list of photos these past years and St. Jean is ~50% smaller than 4-5 years ago , a combination of two hurrincnes is mainly responsible. Pumping the same sand back on the beach is the only real choice.

Pearl Beach has lost at least 40% per locals so something has to be done, it is not coming back on its own. St. Jean is the crown jewel of the island so it needs action and beach renourishment does work. I cannot see Eden Rock reopening in a year? (doubtful at current construction progress)... w/o doing this as their temporary beach setup has beach chairs literally in the water vs. just 2 years ago per my pictures.

A few years ago when we stayed at Emaruade Plage they dredged the ocean for 7 days in order to replenish the beach. It was a wonder watching the beach expand.

Some differing viewpoints:

As found here (or, if preferred en français from St Barth Essentiel, here)
IMG_2864.jpeg

At a recent conference dealing with environmental issues affecting the island, the director of the réserve naturelle cited construction as the main cause of beach erosion, advocated addressing issues related to construction and advised prohibition of re-sanding. The Journal article about this is found here. One of the points made in that article noted that the Le Nagard (2016) study referenced above showed that little change occurred to St Jean from 1950-1990 but that since 1995 there has been marked loss of the beach despite multiple re-sandings.

yes I believe the last time they eventually decided you might as well throw your money in the ocean as mother nature moves the sand as she darn well pleases and the damage to the ocean floor is quite extensive...

There would also be strong dissent that St. Jean beach is the crown jewel of St. Barthelemy. St. Jean is the most commercialized beach and perhaps the least clean waters of the island.