Thread: Which parts of island get less breeze?

SBH Member Joined: Apr 2014 South Florida Posts: 107

Which parts of island get less breeze?

In 2017 a couple weeks before Irma hit, we rented a beach front rental on Lorient beach. The whole time, there was a strong breeze with sand in our eyes and plates with food in danger of being turned over in the front patio. Additionally I am from the Caribbean and get cold easily. It wasn’t a good trip. Planning our next trip and looking for a villa rental with good sea views, pool and one that doesn’t get a lot of breeze. Ironically this is probably the opposite of most who want a good breeze. Any suggestions which side or area of the island I should focus on? Planning to visit mid April.
    work to live not live to work, life is about balance

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,151

Re: Which parts of island get less breeze?

At that period I think the trade winds from East Northeast still prevalent? You want to be in the lee of something. A ridge, some structures, etc. Would suggest studying a topographical map of island. Just as an example, the eastern side of Point Milou can generally be expected to receive more breeze that the western side.
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la Santé

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,247

Maybe go for a western facing villa too. A few years ago I visited some friends who were staying above Corrosol and while they had nice views of the harbor, they mentioned that it got very warm (inside the villa) in the afternoon and early evening.

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 375

Going to be hard to predict which direction the wind is coming from. Good sea views also works against what you are looking for. Maybe take Cassidain's advice and look at a topo map based upon an E-NE wind. Key point here will be figuring out specifically where a villa is based upon available photos and available Google Earth maps.

We stayed high in Flamands a few years ago and I swear the worlds energy problems could have been solved with a wind turbine on top of the villa. We stayed above Corrosol a few weeks ago and the wind was much more manageable. The villa was south facing and did heat up very quickly if the AC wasn't on and the doors/windows were closed.

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2016 Posts: 395

Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    At that period I think the trade winds from East Northeast still prevalent?...
    Daytime(7AM - 7PM) wind statistics for April:
    Name:  IMG_2849.jpeg
Views: 362
Size:  103.8 KB

For the year:
    Name:  IMG_2852.jpeg
Views: 358
Size:  102.2 KB

Much of the time, you don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows. Biggest variation from ENE is in the Fall - e.g., October:
    Name:  IMG_2841.jpeg
Views: 359
Size:  112.6 KB

December has some N and NNE winds:
    Name:  IMG_2842.jpeg
Views: 357
Size:  112.2 KB

Statistics for all months found at Windfinder.com

Thank you Izzy. Guess I just overlay on the island?

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2016 Posts: 395

Quote Originally Posted by Scotik View Post
    Thank you Izzy. Guess I just overlay on the island?
    You could, if you are more photoshop-literate than me.

I would just look at the prevailing wind directions as a general indicator that west facing on leeward side of the island should be better as Bart notes but be very aware that topography is a very big additional consideration as Cass suggests. It will be very hard to predict for individual properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    I would just look at the prevailing wind directions as a general indicator that west facing on leeward side of the island should be better as Bart notes but be very aware that topography is a very big additional consideration as Cass suggests. It will be very hard to predict for individual properties.
    agree. we stayed in a property in les hauts de saint-jean and assumed we would have constant cooling, mosquito-chasing breezes. unfortunately, the property was westward oriented, and the easterly breezes were blocked by the structure itself.

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2011 Smithfield, VA Posts: 140

We've stayed almost exclusively on the west side of Pointe Milou in the February and March time frame. The winds are calm, temps are great, and the sunsets are pretty special. Enjoy! Tom

PS: Less wind can result in more mosquito action, so be advised.
    Hobbes : "Do you think there's a God?
    Calvin : "Well somebody's out to get me!"

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,247

Maybe you should call the villa rental companies and ask. Someone must have had this question before (or the opposite one......."we want breezes!")

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2005 Sarasota, Florida Posts: 1,754

We stay on the Magras hillside in Colombier......very calm, high up and beautiful sunset/Gustavia views.....Villa Baleine, Villa L'Enclos, Villa Hurrican, Villa Dan are a few owned by Rosita and her family.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 7,639

As already commented on, the amount of mosquitoes directly correlate inversely to the amount of wind. If the island did not have wind we wouldn’t come but that is why there are 31 flavors!

Thank you all for the advice. We like the breeze, but when it’s so strong that it blows over your wine glasses, if you have food on plates and the plates blow off the table. That’s too much. A nice mild breeze is good.

Quote Originally Posted by stbartshopper View Post
    If the island did not have wind we wouldn’t come but that is why there are 31 flavors!
    Actually, Saint-Barth has 40 flavors

Name:  1024px-Saint-Barthélemy_quartiers_map.svg.png
Views: 147
Size:  110.6 KB