type of car to rent based on terrain?

Sara

SBH Member
My husband is inclined to rent a small Peugot, but based on what I've read, I think we might be better off with a Kia SUV. I've read that there are a lot of ruts etc. since Irma, along with narrow roads and high climbs. Do you think a small Peugot would be sufficient? Thanks once again for all of your help!
Sara

My favorite is the Suzuki Jimny. Compact 2 door SUV that seats four. Or you can put the back seats down and have space for suitcases, beach chairs, etc. It has 4 wheel drive to get up the rain slick hills. And it has amazingly good visibility....which is handy when trying to park into tight spaces.

Don't worry about ruts or anything like that. The roads are probably in the best condition they've ever been in the history of the island! Most are in excellent condition. The ones that aren't are few and far between and in remote or less traveled parts of the island.

If they're renting a vehicle, it will be able to handle all the roads. The only thing to (possibly) worry about is steep roads in a heavy downpour. Sometimes vehicles can't make it up a steep section in a monsoon. But that's very rare.

I second the Jimny. Started with a Fiat on our first visit, swapped it for a Jimny a few hours later and have never rented anything else but. Definitely no frills, but small, easy to park and 4-wheel drive for those few times the roads get slick. Heavy rains usually mean a villa day, but the last two years, it hit right as we needed to leave for the airport. Started slipping on the hill coming out from Flamands, so engaged the 4 wheel drive and suddenly, no problem.

Put me down as a Jimny fan too. It may be the lowest priced rental on the island (at Gumbs anyway) and that's a big selling point with me! ;-)

Also, the roof opens up which is nice

we are also Jimny fans....we started renting mokes years ago (cute ...no power)....then moved to others (names forgotten) ...but settled on the Jimny for it's convenience (easy to load groceries, beach chairs, etc)...please note that you will need to use the gears (automatic transmission) when navigating some of the islands steeper hills

My husband is inclined to rent a small Peugot, but based on what I've read, I think we might be better off with a Kia SUV. I've read that there are a lot of ruts etc. since Irma, along with narrow roads and high climbs. Do you think a small Peugot would be sufficient? Thanks once again for all of your help!
Sara

If your mind is set on a small car, I can tell you from personal experience, the (convertible) mini cooper worked perfectly on the roads (wet or dry/steep or flat) on St Barth and was a joy to drive!

You’ll be fine in any of the rental cars. We have only found one road in St. Barts which we decided we couldn’t climb without 4wd during a downpour. That being said, it is more fun in a 4x4 or convertible.

The steep road is coming out of Orient toward Pte. Milou! We love the Terios! Odile told us several years ago Jimmys are no longer made and she doesn’t have them anymore!

Hands down a Jeep Wrangler 4-door but that depends on where you are staying and any excursions that you want to do while there.

Hi, The Villa I going to works with Welcome Cars and I haven't had the best experience with them in the past. Have others had any issues? Does their fleet tend to be older cars than other rental cars? Maybe it was a fluke that one stay because he Jimny I rented had very poor pickup on hills and didn't handle as much as I would have liked and would roll back a few times on hills. I worked and spoke with Welcome several times and switched to the Terios. I think that Terios may have been a newer model because it was in much better condition than the Jimy and never hesitated. Thoughts if the Jeep Wrangler handles better the Jimny, Terios or these two cars I have never heard of: Suzuki Vitara or Sangyoung Korando? Right now I am debating between the Terios, Wrangler, Mini Cooper due to availability not all cars are available for my length of stay. How does the Mini handle without 4wd drive? I am short so being in a higher up car has always been more comfortable for me. Our Villa is high in the hills and we travel all around the island so that is why 4wd is most important to me. Candid advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I rent a Daihatsu Terios if one is available, but they seem to be aging out of some rental fleets. I sometimes end up with a Suzuki Vitara instead, and have never had a problem. SsangYong is another Korean brand. I've seen them on the island but have never driven one. I've never driven a Jeep Wrangler on the island either.

Never heard of Welcome Cars sorry jbm. Hired a Jeep Wrangler one year and found it awkwardly large and overkill, and the Defender even moreso. Mini cabriolet is just fine in 2wd everywhere on the island don't worry. This year we are hiring a Smart Car cabriolet for the second time.

In 2002 the old mini we hired began actually slipping backwards on the road up out of Gustavia -- high on that hill it's unpleasant to possibly tumble backwards down it. Then a mec trop gentil driving the white van behind us hopped out to give a push. Lesson learnt: next year another old mini (bien sur!), but this time we checked for tread on the tyres!

There is nothing more frightening than to have your vehicle start rolling backwards on the steep roads and hairpin turns found on St Barth. EEEEEK! I've driven, with no issues, the Mini Cooper, Kia Picanto and Jimny. I did a quick search and found that Turbe Car Rental has some newer vehicles that look to be able to handle the terrain. It may be worth a look. http://www.turbe-car-rental.com/listings/ Good luck!

One year our car rental company was out of Jimneys when we arrived so they subbed a Jeep Wrangler. I have to say it was NOT fun driving, it seems very big (wide) when compared to the other cars. Super noticeable when parking. And it was a fuel hog. We swapped for a Jimney as soon as one was available.

We have also rented the Terios and like them as well.