SXM transfer desk

CappyD

Hi Folks... I've been mostly lurking for a long time and appreciating the informative banter. Could I ask of someone who has gone thru SXM very recently on the way to SBH, now that the terminal is reopened, if indeed immigration can be avoided when just doing carry on by going by the transfer desk and security as you could before Irma? I just had someone at Wimco say that this is not possible.

Similarly, what about the same on the way back to the US if you have US carrier boarding passes in hand?
Thanks!!

I was just there a little over a week ago (it was a mess). We had checked baggage though and booked with Premium IV to speed up the transfer. Premium IV retrieved our bags and got our tickets for us.... and it was the end of an extremely long time for me (I was going on 36 hours with only 2 hours of sleep) so my memory might not be the best.

We entered the terminal where we used to enter when returning from SBH. We went down a hallway and then went left up a set of stairs (the set you used to go up after returning from SBH). Everyone with baggage went straight (not up the stairs). We then came to a TSA style checkpoint and had to take our shoes off again and have our bags scanned (everyone leaving SXM had to go through this line but we were able to cut in front). We then went through exit immigration and then we were in the waiting area which was jammed packed.

Thing is, I don't recall seeing any areas to retrieve your boarding passes for SBC or WinAir during my trip through SXM (this is why I say my memory isn't the best). So unfortunately it's impossible to get to SBH through SXM without going through security again.... I also have no idea how you would get your boarding passes.

Someone else may know the answer... and I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

Easy way to solve the problem (if it is a problem for you) is to just book with Premium IV to do all of that for you.

Thanks for that. I see that Winair now has an online check-in section on their web site (anybody used this??), so I'm hoping that I can check in before flying and will have my boarding pass in hand when I arrive at SXM. Then, I'm hoping that someone can say if there is a way to be in transfer and go straight to and thru security as before.

I'm not sure what it was like before. I don't think they accept boarding passes on your phone (others have said the major carriers do not yet accept electronic boarding passes) so you might want to make sure you have a paper version.

I don't know what the transfer was like before because my wife refuses to bring less than 50 lbs or stuff to SBH. I can so though, that you will need to go through some sort of security prior to arriving at the departure area (think TSA style security). No way around this security. I was surprised we needed to do this, but that's the way it is for now. Maybe in a year or so they will have the full terminal up an running again.

cappyd, we have always used the transfer desk, with carry on, (no advance boarding passes on the way, but boarding passes for return) and did it again a few days ago. Here’s what I learned.

When you enter the building, there will likely be a long immigaration line. Just pass it on the left, and very shortly, you will see stairs on your left. There will also be reps holding signs - premium services, st. Barth Commuter, and I am guessing Winair as well. You may want to reach out to them in advance, and ask if your (in hand) boarding passes printed on line will be sufficient to get you through security. The next step is for the reps to give you boarding passes, check body and luggage weights, and pass you right through security. All we needed were the boarding passes, and they let us right through.

In sum, we walked left of the immigration line, took a left at the stairs, were checked by customs, and proceeded to our gate. Winair is clearly marked. They are set up in the far building(past the food/bar area), on the right, from where the jets depart. SBC is at “gate” 6.

Hope this helps.

I was just in St Bart's Jan 11-18---transfer through SXM was no problem-My wife and I only have carry-on luggage--after we deplaned from our American flight and made our way to the airport terminal-we were greeted by a representative from SB Commuter-they instructed us to walk up stairs and by bass the area where there were long lines all the checked luggage was-as we walked upstairs(we had boarding passes in hand)--we then went through customs and made our way to our gate-Gate #6--easy as pie--on the return you must have a hard copy of your boarding passes-this will save you allot of time and aggravation--from the time our flight left SBH until we were sitting at our gate in SXM-total time was around 40 minutes--hope this helps

Thanks for posting this. We are flying SBC on Saturday, no checked bags. I’m a little confused, can I print my boarding pass online or do I need to get at SXM?

Divabella, to the best of my knowledge, SBC does not provide boarding passes online (but I could be wrong) The SBC rep will hand you your boarding pass when he or she meets you on arrival. (think of it as a freestanding check in desk lol) Don’t know about Winair. Info above suggests they do provide that option.

You lost me at checking body weight! Who’s looking at the scales?

lol - with SBC, they ask what you weigh in kgs, and, this trip, the luggage weigh worked thus - agent lifts up the suitcase and carry on together, and nods head.

SBC does provide boarding passes on line-I had mine in hand before I left home-It was quite easy to spot the SBC rep as they were standing there with there sign as I was about to enter the terminal

I emailed SBC and received this response. She also clarified in a follow up email that the yellow ribbon isn’t needed for carry on. Sounds like you need to show your boarding pass from original flight.

We inform you that Juliana Airport is now partially open (only on the ground floor for arrivals and also departure areas).
In the new arrival area, our St Barth Commuter agent will meet you just before immigration with a St Barth Commuter sign.
There, they will give you your boarding pass and collect your luggage receipts to pick up your luggage for you. That will facilitate your transit.
Also, please note that he will ask you for your international boarding card.
We therefore ask you, in order to facilitate your transfer, to put a yellow ribbon or tag on your luggage to help our agents to easily identify it.
Thank you for your cooperation​

yes-That is the same email they sent me before we left for our trip-as I had mentioned I already had received my boarding passes from SBC before I left so there was no need for them to give me boarding passes at SXM--the process is really easy-you will be fine-I wish I was going back with this terrible cold weather we are having in Pittsburgh-Enjoy!!

If I am reading this correctly, you can check luggage and SBC will retrieve it for you and get it to the plane. If so, this is a game changer for anyone who has checked bags.

SBC requests that if you have checked luggage that you make things easier for them to be found by putting a yellow ribbon or something else yellow on the handlle.

From the SBC FB page:

�� Checked bags SXM to SBH:
St Marteen SXM Juliana airport IS now partially open.
In the new arrival area, our ground agents will meet you just before the immigration desks with a St Barth Commuter sign.
There, they will give you your boarding pass and collect your luggage receipts to pick up your bags.
We therefore ask you, in order to facilitate your transfer, to put a yellow sign on your bags (ribbon, a piece piece of string, a piece of paper,...)
We thank you for your cooperation on order to offer you a quicker transfer in transit!

SBC requests that if you have checked luggage that you make things easier for checked bags to be found by putting a yellow ribbon or something else yellow on the handlle.

From the SBC FB page:

�� Checked bags SXM to SBH:
St Marteen SXM Juliana airport IS now partially open.
In the new arrival area, our ground agents will meet you just before the immigration desks with a St Barth Commuter sign.
There, they will give you your boarding pass and collect your luggage receipts to pick up your bags.
We therefore ask you, in order to facilitate your transfer, to put a yellow sign on your bags (ribbon, a piece piece of string, a piece of paper,...)
We thank you for your cooperation on order to offer you a quicker transfer in transit!

yes-That is the same email they sent me before we left for our trip-as I had mentioned I already had received my boarding passes from SBC before I left so there was no need for them to give me boarding passes at SXM--the process is really easy-you will be fine-I wish I was going back with this terrible cold weather we are having in Pittsburgh-Enjoy!!

Aside from their specific instructions that they will provide the boarding passes when they meet up with you at SXM, can you share where it was, on their site, where you were able to print a St. Barth Commuter boarding pass? I am looking on their site, but must be missing it.