Things Remembered

Hawke

Senior Insider
Packing 3 Adults and 4 kids into a Moke, Andy meeting each person at the Hideaway, coming out of Eddies after a great meal, hearing Buffet music, walking down the road and yes it's Jimmy singing.

Packing 3 Adults and 4 kids into a Moke, Andy meeting each person at the Hideaway, coming out of Eddies after a great meal, hearing Buffet music, walking down the road and yes it's Jimmy singing.

Ah, the (original) Moke, and the dead ends between Lurin and Saline and les Castelets and la Marine and Autre Rocher (sp?) and the shows around the pool and........

First came in 1989...was honeymooning in St. Maarten and came over for a day trip via ferry....when we got to SB...I knew I was home...no, it's not just the food...although the best overall...no not the vibe...European and not Caribbean...and feel unwelcomed...NO...it's the warm people...the safe island (I'm got a family)...and the feeling that SB is much more than a resort...have been coming since 1990...probably 25 times...my kids grew up there...a 24 yr old and a 12yr old who went when he was 5 months old...

A very special place....now going back with my wife in March for the first time in 24 years to celebrate our 30th anniversary...missed the 25th...we got news that she had breast cancer literally that day...and that started 5 years of a downward spiral of life...now coming out the other end...SB has always been our special place...

Looking forward to going home....miss so much...Andy and the Hideaway were always 1st and last nights dinner...but still the best that I can find...because of the people...

Falling out of the overpacked Moke on a sharp turn... thanks mom and dad.....

1988. Je me rappelle empruntant (dans un Moke) un chemin très étroit, au dessous de Gouverneur, signalé « interdit » et en me disant, « interdit, interdit, qu’est-ce qui veut dire interdit? » :nerd:

1988. Je me rappelle empruntant (dans un Moke) un chemin très étroit, au dessous de Gouverneur, signalé « interdit » et en me disant, « interdit, interdit, qu’est-ce qui veut dire interdit? » :nerd:

glad you lived to tell the tale....

Honeymooning in St. Barths in 1987. Going to Eden Rock before it was its current manifestation. Walked up no one there. A maid walks over to say hello. We ask are they cooking breakfast? She says no however she could make us some eggs. We had eggs overlooking one of the most beautiful views we had ever experienced.

Ah the original Moke. My favorite memory is coming back from dinner going up the hill to the top of Petit Saline... the Moke stopped going it just couldn't make it. Somehow me and mom ended up pushing and my dads response "I paid for the f'n car". Still laughing about this one more than 20 years later

Long time ago the Gurgel was our car of choice....we had one once where we could see the road going by through a hole in the floor and thought nothing of it....

Long time ago the Gurgel was our car of choice....we had one once where we could see the road going by through a hole in the floor and thought nothing of it....

Yes, and if it rained the passenger was advised to place their foot over the hole to keep from getting splashed by water coming up through it.

Moke memory. Driving, in the dark, past the Tamarin, up just a short way before realizing it was (back then) a dead end, and having to make a three point turn to get back down. I lost count after 6 back and forths, inch by inch, scary as hell.

I could write a million good memories, but the one bad one was on our first visit...we got a SMART car..wow, was that ever a misnomer...