U shopping carts

There's something charming in those black rolling baskets with telescoping handles..me thinks.

Methinks you are so right, Missy. I wish more stores in the States had them for times when a hand-held basket would get too heavy but a shopping cart would be too big.

A good idea in any color. I liked them too.

Growing up in the city I saw that the shoppers took along their very own shopping bags or wheeled carts with them.

Our Whole Foods (or Whole Paycheck as it it sometimes known) has those wheeled carts.

And if you need practice remembering to bring your shopping bags into the store on St. Barth might I gently suggest you practice at home. Why only do it on vacation?

Once you start doing it, you’ll never need a plastic bag again. :D

I do it at home too. I like reading bags of other shoppers. Have not spotted a Match/Marche at home yet.

I've still got my original green bags from Le Match many years ago, and I use them. I don't recall what name is on them, perhaps St Barth Essential. At home, most of my bags are the black ones from Tradewind Aviation.

I like Odile’s woven one, my EMM embroidered one, and Gloriette see thru bag. At home, I have a wide variety that I put a cut to fit cardboard bottom in to hold its shape and protect jars from clanging.

Great idea on the cardboard! Will have to try that.

We have a variety as well. My favorite is a “Keep Great Britain Clean” canvas bag bought in London. A great souvenir and it only cost £2!

I also have a cool nylon one that fits into its own stuff sack. Weighs nothing and easy to keep in my purse.

This is my newest...I bought several of these for holiday gifts and had to get my own (yes, I’m obsessed with tote bags...just ask Randy!)

Get one here: https://store.apolisglobal.com/collections/bags

596AC963-3F41-48E9-981C-AA130283EFD1.jpg

Very nice, Marybeth!

We also use the cut-cardboard piece . . . makes packing & carrying a bit simpler.

I have "collected" nice, reusable bags in every French grocery store and hypermarket around the world as my souvenirs which I use and sometimes just look at, when I get back home. I really LOVE them! Every time I look at my plastic check out bags, I have beautiful memories! (Not too many people get as excited as I do about plastic bags with French writing on them!)..Here in our area in California, all plastic bags are banned so we no longer have the option of forgetting our bags. No one can give you one; you much purchase a bag for 10 cents and the are nowhere near as nice as our French bags; they are just the old ones you used to get for free. So everyone brings their own bags to the stores, wherever you go, just like in our beloved France. I feel very "chic" with my Super U/Match/ASB/Monaco/Tahiti bags and they are very cute for the beach, hauling junk around, impromptu brief case, etc. I bought lots of extras and it makes our trip to the store a "cultural experience". It is fun to go to each store wherever you travel, and purchase the reusable bags at the check out! (Fashion Hint: Wear it with your LV or Hermès: Instant chic!) Plus you don't trash your good beach bags when you go on vacation and they are easy to pack. (My favorite beach bag is from Loulou's Marine, which is canvas..true love there..great for your boat outings, and one of a kind..another feel- special bag!)

I also had bought awhile back on SBH the cutest zippered vinyl type beach bag with the picture of the tiled signs that are at the entrance to the beaches in SBH...I love those best but they are only for "good" use..they don't go to the grocery store as they are the perfect beach bags or travel day bags. Does anyone know if they still sell them on the island? So cute! I love everything with the tiled signs images on them. I would like to order more if anyone knows who might send them? There was a lovely lady who made these types of souvenirs, I think. I believe they had mugs, also. Missed those...I got my tile sign bags in a gift shop up on the back street across from the old pink Vanita Rosa store, in a little house that had a staircase in the front. It was such a cute store that sold lots of high end souvenirs. Last time, I think they were no longer there.

So be eco, get yourself those great bags when you are down there at Marché U, and feel special when you take them shopping at home! (They love to shop!) As a side note, they have banned plastic straws in our area, and San Diego just passed a law to get rid of styrofoam containers. I thought that was a pretty good idea and there are lots of recyclable alternatives out there now. Our trash people make it really easy to recycle by giving you a big bin and you just throw in your recyclable things, so you can feel good about your trash. With some small adjustments, we can do some good for our oceans and do it French chic! Happy shopping and hope you get into some nice conversations about your French bags! xxoo

Great idea on the cardboard! Will have to try that.

We have a variety as well. My favorite is a “Keep Great Britain Clean” canvas bag bought in London. A great souvenir and it only cost £2!

I also have a cool nylon one that fits into its own stuff sack. Weighs nothing and easy to keep in my purse.

This is my newest...I bought several of these for holiday gifts and had to get my own (yes, I’m obsessed with tote bags...just ask Randy!)

Get one here: https://store.apolisglobal.com/collections/bags

View attachment 48302

OMG, Marybeth, we have so much in common!! I will never use all of my tote bags but every one brings back a memory!