Kicked Outta Country

Hawke

Senior Insider
George Strait and Jamey Johnson wrote it together. Each has a song and it's hard to pick which one is better.

Retro perspectives & kinda whining about how it used to be, no matter what candy wrapper it's in - Complaints don't get me anywhere. Lots of great tunes and friends in my life. I remember ma friends and play on.

The mainstream radio "young country" stuff is a dud. IMHO.

I hope my kids and grandkids have the liberty, freedom & resources to keep getting educated and take care of business and make it all good. Our support is always there.

My early days figuring out how to get to a studio (photo courtesy of my sis) -

Slides001ab.jpg

Now... the classic Dave Dudley country tune that has a stepbrother that smokes -

As always - IMHO :pray1:

I think this has merit. Is it country? Better roots than most of the formulaic "YCR" radio sludge that sounds like 1970's rock retreads with a twang. IMHO.

Hank Sr's daughter (Jett) approves - her father crossed "country" lines w. social commentary as "Luke The Drifter" back in the days.

Voosh; Know I'm speaking to the choir and I obviously don't listen every day, however I went back to Townes Van Zandt today and he always amazes me.

Grew up in the suburbs of Detroit when it was farm country. Hitchhicked into "the big city" whenever I could. Played a lot of tunes after meeting all sorts of folks who could really play a tune. Country music was not on my radar. A friend came back from Navy service and coaxed me into some juke joints (non-existent now, almost anywhere) when we rode our hawgs as free as we could be. Spent a bunch of time in Texas. Nashville wasn't my cup of tea. I got hooked on the "current" country stuff back then and delved into older stuff.

That was country for me.

Kathy and I have done a lot of roadtrips. One time we were noodling in Texas and I took a sharp turn off 35 to 40. "What now?" she says - Gotta see Amarillo cause that tune is always in my head and... it's the quickest way to Sante Fe where we're gonna hang out for a few weeks - "cool" she says.

Mr. "Oakie From Muskogee" did some great stuff that still stands as some fine playin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM0w6CgRjKc

And yes, he was as big of a hippocrite as many then and now. I guess he and Willie got over some stuff. Life is too much fun to squander on conflicts (IMHO) [RIP Merle]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6c6eUeoa9Q