The Last Waltz

Hawke

Senior Insider
Watched Van Morrison perform Caravan on youtube again. His performance with The Band is goose bump great.

That entire movie is great. I get goosebumps even before the opening plink plink plink and the s Refits! We watch it here quite often. It is even better viewing here in our happy place.

Absolutely everyone who performed on The Last Waltz was great. It is undoubtedly the best concert video ever produced. We've watched it so many times that I've lost count, and it never gets old. What is amazing is that at least half of those who performed in that concert are still performing today. It is definitely an iconic film that probably helped launch Martin Scorsese' career.

Here is one of my favs.

Thanks : Great video. Every few months I'll start watching some, next thing you know, half the day has gone by.

Mavis Staples is on the New Orleans Jazz Fest 2019 list of performers!

Since 2008, not a trip to St Barth goes by that I don't watch The Last Waltz in the living room of two of my favorite people on the planet. It truly NEVER gets old and I'm moved every single time!

The Last Waltz is on my iPad.

And, from the opening frames, THIS FILM SHOULD BE PLAYED LOUD!

If interested in seeing the concert uncut, in original sequence, and without overdubbing and other sweetenings, check this out when you have 4+ hours of time to kill - they will likely pass quickly.

Robbie and Levon told different stories about the Last Waltz in their books. Here are links to an excerpt from Robertson's and an article about Helm's thoughts.

Also of potential interest is this link to some lost photos that were found in in 2016 (40th LW Anniversary) the SF Chronicle

Good reads. Thanks Izzy. ‘Twas An incredible gathering of incredible rock n roll legends

We also enjoy “I’ve had the time of my life but I never...”what movie? The male lead passed away young- pancreatic cancer.

Mavis Staples is on the New Orleans Jazz Fest 2019 list of performers!

The Rolling Stones are the headliners for the 2019 New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Fest... after processing that, it is interesting to see two of the performers at the first festival in 1970 when Duke Ellington (b. 1899) was 5 years younger than Jagger and Richards (b. 1943) are now... and a year in which the Stones released another notable Rock film - Gimme Shelter...

IMG_2765.jpeg

Performances by the Ellington Orchestra and by Mahalia Jackson at the 1970 festival (attendance ~ 350) can be heard here.

A bit about Ellington, promoter George Wein (in polo shirt behind Mahalia) and the establishment of the festival can be heard here.

Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey DIRTY DANCING, Bill,

Happy to supply this info, things like that pop into my mind and can drive me crazy. However, it is definitely not in the correct thread at all.

If interested in seeing the concert uncut, in original sequence, and without overdubbing and other sweetenings, check this out when you have 4+ hours of time to kill - they will likely pass quickly.

Robbie and Levon told different stories about the Last Waltz in their books. Here are links to an excerpt from Robertson's and an article about Helm's thoughts.

Also of potential interest is this link to some lost photos that were found in in 2016 (40th LW Anniversary) the SF Chronicle

Well, that was four hours and twenty minutes will spent (in two chunks wrapped around dinner), from Up On Cripple Creek to Greensleeves. I was aware of the video off of the House cameras, but had never taken the time to watch it.

Bill "Sweet William" Fritsch was long forgotten by me, but his segment refreshed my memory of his association with Janis Joplin.

What a way to spend a night, for $25 in 1976 dollars ($113 in 2019 dollars), and which included Thanksgiving Dinner!

Thanks for the link to the photos. Those are new to me.

I also happen to have a fresh copy of Robbie Robertson's "Testimony" on top of my "paper books" pile, purchased as a gift for a friend who it turns out already has a copy. He recommended that I also purchase Levon Helms' "This Wheel's On Fire" for a different viewpoint.

Thank you for those links Izzy. The words and the music truly bring back a historic moment in rock and roll.

How can you not get absorbed in it & not feel it? It's in our DNA!

Sure, different tastes & choices all around - but, music & rhythm strike a chord with most of us. There are some that don't get it or abuse it. Some of them need help or understanding - the abusers, for negative means, need to just go away (ever watch Korean, Chinese, Russian or Hitler propaganda/nationalistic "music"?)

The beat goes on... Yep.

Showed LW outdoors on the Bay for our community a few years back. 20x40 screen, BIG speakers, beautiful summer night. LOUD.

Still get comments. If you haven't already, catch "20 Feet from Stardom".

Next month? "Hair".