10 accidents in 1 week

Perhaps a slow down in tourism because of notorious dangeous scooters will provide the "will."

We have friends who were until 2 years ago, regular visitors to St Barth, usually bringing thei family of 6 in high season and staying a couple of weeks in beautiful villas. However, after an relatively minor accident with a scooter (scooter driver's fault) after which they were harassed by the scooter's owner for the remainder of their stay, the family say the will never return to the island.
Without enforcement, in countries, cities, schools, there is a fine line between civilized behavior and anarchy. Look around and see where the world is heading. I hope St. Barts avoids it. Always have felt safe. We have been robbed in Anguilla and Vieques. I had to go over to P.R and then back later to prosecute the drug addict from Vieques that robbed us .

Thank you for taking the effort to prosecute the criminal in Vieques! Accountibility is loosing its teeth in the World today. Here in DC, City Council has just refused to prosecute toll jumpers at the Metro Stations. I was raised that is stealing, does it matter if it is $2.00 or $200.00? Wrong is Wrong. If I found that one of my children or grandchildren stole, they would have to deal with my foot up their ass!

From Le Journal de St Barth: Ten educational radars will be installed over the next two months.

Capture.JPG

I don't read Le Journal de St Barth or Le Weekly every week, but I often do. It's usually worth my time, and I get insight into what's going on on the island when I'm off the island. The island does consider the issues of scooters to be a problem. They're trying to control it, but as Pascale said in an earlier post, it's cultural, and there may be no solution.

A few facts from this week's Le Journal:

In 2018, firefighters responded to 350 accidents involving two-wheelers and quads, of which four were fatal accidents.

Between June 1st and December 31st, the gendarmes reported 109 two-wheelers and quads in violation.

75% of violations were committed by people over 25 years.

20% of 109 offenses were as a result of a traffic accident.

20% of people were cited for driving without a proper license.

75% of the offenses involved 50cc scooters. (50cc is about 3 cubic inches of engine displacement, or about .05 liters. These are the smallest scooters and the least expensive. Age 18+ and a valid driver's license are required.)

35% of the scooters were not insured.

Out of the 109 drivers, almost one out of two had a blood alcohol level above the legal limit. (BAC of .04 in France, half of the typical US limit of .08 (except in Utah)). The highest BAC measured during that period was .35, and they have since measured a driver at .538, noting that he was "still standing".

54 scooters were seized for being outside legal limits. Some were for illegal modifications that allowed scooters to exceed legal speed limits for their size, and some for safety violations which made them too dangerous to ride.

Of the 54 seized, 16 were destroyed, and others may yet be destroyed.

For those who speak French, or are trying to improve their French, I recommend reading Le Journal. It can be downloaded at https://www.journaldesaintbarth.com/

Those are eye opening stats, Kevin; thanks for posting. Having those speed/radar signs posted on the island roads is a very good start. Hopefully, these scooter offenders will begin to realize that life is way too precious to be driving around St. Barths like Evel Knievel.

If there are more friends like yours BND that don’t return to the island because of the scooter problem, that will be noticed and more action will be taken. Those signs are at least a start.