le barthélemy thoughts for trip

You can park at any hotel...such as Cheval Blanc, Manapany, Le Barthelemy, etc...and have lunch and use their beach chairs. Some places charge you for the use of the chairs, but some don’t if you eat there.

based on my experience and some recent posts, I'm not certain that's quite accurate ? I believe that some hotels at some times reserve their transats for hotel guests ? others with more up to date information will, I'm sure, weigh in . . .

Perhaps share your budget. Are you comfortable with over 600 per night or would you prefer to spend less than that?

The beach at Flamands (Cheval Blanc) is very nice but not swimmable due to the undertow. .

To quote Dwight Shrute: FALSE!

Flamands is a fantastic beach, and is often nearly completely empty. Especially on the end opposite the hotels.

The surf can be strong here, and it can also be fairly tranquil depending on the wind. Calling the beach unswimmable is a huge, huge overstatement. The Outer Banks of North Carolina regularly have bigger waves, and rougher surf than Flamands.

Thank you all! It seems like Villa Marie is a recommended one. I was looking at Villa Marie (although I havent looked into it much yet), but this isnt on the beach? It must have beach access I would think. .

This hotel is probably the furthest away from a beach that you can get on St. Barts while staying in a hotel!

Beach access requires a car, or a very long, very steep hike.

based on my experience and some recent posts, I'm not certain that's quite accurate ? I believe that some hotels at some times reserve their transats for hotel guests ? others with more up to date information will, I'm sure, weigh in . . .

True, can't speak for Cheval Blanc because it had just reopened when were there in December. But during that week, we were able to eat and use chairs at Pearl Beach and Le Barthelemy. And Manapany was advertising Day Passes in Le News. The Christopher usually offers that option too.

Let's face it, where ever you decide to stay, you are going to have a great time. Just some additional thoughts as it seems like your two best options are Le Barthélemy vs Cheval Blanc. Having never stayed at the former, it seemed like their rooms were more hotel like and less private, when viewed from their restaurant. When we stayed at Cheval Blanc we usually reserved a garden bungalow. Most are private luxurious casitas. The oceanfront rooms although less private were beautiful. Also, we always went out for dinner each evening and Cheval Blanc was closer to our favorite restaurants in Gustavia- night driving can be challenging on the island.

Agreed, Bart. We've stayed at a villa at the far end of Flamands beach. On certain days, it is true that you can get "clobbered" as Ellen has noted. It happened many times to my husband and kids when they were small, but they had a ball over the years. Then, other days, the water is tranquil and placid. A great beach overall and is one of our very favorites. Cheval Blanc or Le Barthelemy are wonderful and offer lovely experiences dependent upon what you're looking for.

We have been “clobbered” on Saline many times in the past...and have experienced serene calm waters off Flamands..beaches are different on any given day.....that being said seems you want a nice hotel on the beach with great service and pool and dining...I would vote for Cheval Blanc...they have a nice wide beach to sit on...and having a car to drive to experience other beaches is recommended...Enjoy!!!

I would vote for Cheval Blanc...they have a nice wide beach to sit on...and having a car to drive to experience other beaches!!

I’m not disagreeing with you in principle, but just giving fair warning to anyone wanting to stay at Cheval Blanc in the near term. In December, the construction noise right at the beach at the hotel was very loud and quite annoying. I’m sure you get used to it after awhile, but the only time there was anything close to tranquility on that beach was from 12 to 1 during the lunch break.

There were ack-ack machines, circular saws buzzing and near constant hammering.

Maybe things will be improved by the time you get there, but maybe not (it’s already been ~16 months since the hurricane. Are things really going to get wrapped up in the next few weeks?). Anyhow, just trying to make you go in with eyes wide open.

That being said, the beach at Flamands is absolutely fabulous! A great, huge (for SBH) ocean beach. The beach at GcDS is fine to look at over lunch, but to me, it’s always seemed to be more of a pond with a bunch of boats moored there instead of an ocean front beach.

I’m not disagreeing with you in principle, but just giving fair warning to anyone wanting to stay at Cheval Blanc in the near term. In December, the construction noise right at the beach at the hotel was very loud and quite annoying. I’m sure you get used to it after awhile, but the only time there was anything close to tranquility on that beach was from 12 to 1 during the lunch break.

There were ack-ack machines, circular saws buzzing and near constant hammering.

Maybe things will be improved by the time you get there, but maybe not (it’s already been ~16 months since the hurricane. Are things really going to get wrapped up in the next few weeks?). Anyhow, just trying to make you go in with eyes wide open.

That being said, the beach at Flamands is absolutely fabulous! A great, huge (for SBH) ocean beach. The beach at GcDS is fine to look at over lunch, but to me, it’s always seemed to be more of a pond with a bunch of boats moored there instead of an ocean front beach.

It's part of the marine sanctuary, so it's protected. So many cool things to see while snorkeling in waist-deep water, especially to the far left, in front of Le Guanahani Hotel. Starfish for miles, seeing conch scooch around the ocean floor, sleeping turtles...what's not to love? Just wear protective shoes as the urchin are sometimes prevalent!

So many great responses! I think Le Barthelemey is more what we want. We like calm water and snorkeling, seeing wildlife. We definitely want to be by the water, we just did St Lucia and spent the whole week up in the hills :)

I'm almost drowned at Flammands when I was 35...and in great shape! You've got to be careful...yourself...I got flipped by a wave and drilled into the bottom...200lbs...6ft 1inc...you need to be very aware....if you have kids, you have to be very viligent...now, having said that, I've been to Cheval Blanc (I forget the previous name before they got fancy...) and have had many wonderful days at the beach...also, have seen a number of people dragged off by EMT's or the french equivalents...just saying if you go...pay attention...if you want to doze, go over to Grand Cul de Sac or Grand or Petit Case...also Toiny...very rough...same as Flammands...jet skied off of Toiny on island tour...very rough...pay attention...

Christopher would be my choice without a doubt

First a disclaimer: We always rent a Villa through The Oetker Eden Rock Resort for numerous reasons.

The Eden Rock beach is obscenely clean and the water is crystal clear plus they provide beach service, villla maid service, breakfast is delivered at your desired time and a charming private concierge available to assist you 24/7.

Personally, I love being able to step outside of any of the bedrooms for an immediate swim at any time of day or night or just stay on a lounge by our pool if I am feeling lazy.

Also, the Eden Rock restaurants are quite pleasing and their staff is amazing.

Since the Eden Rock Resort which also has a few hotel rooms will not re-open until December 2019 - I do believe that Christopher is the way to go for you as far as your vaca in April of this year.

Let us know what you decide to do your vaca. Enjoy!