Thread: A Very Sticky Bar

SBH Member Joined: May 2011 Posts: 257

A Very Sticky Bar

Does anyone remember the Rum Bar that was located in Anse de Caye. We were on the island for three weeks and had different people staying with us, and we stopped by three times. Mostly locals and younger crowd. Probably in early 2000's and I believe it was destroyed by fire.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 7,049

Re: A Very Sticky Bar

I believe you may be referring to Chez Ginette. It was a dive and as you say sticky on the floors- but they made great flavored rums. I believe it finally burned down.

SBH Member Joined: May 2011 Posts: 257

Thanks for refreshing my mind on the name and the quick response.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 18,996

Ginette still makes flavored rhums, Rhum Arrangé. I’ve bought them at the Oasis Marché U. She is now located on the road from Corrosol to Columbier, just selling her rhums out of her house, not as a bar.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 7,049

And they are just was delicious as always! Is Gloriette still selling their rums?

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 24,315

Yes and you can purchase it at Caf Gloriette in Gustavia and also enjoy a snack of freshly prepared daily offerings. The shop is air conditioned and a great stop before or after errands and shopping in town. Located across from the harbor side's huge anchor located nearby Baz Bar.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2010 New England Posts: 4,273

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Yes and you can purchase it at Caf Gloriette in Gustavia and also enjoy a snack of freshly prepared daily offerings. The shop is air conditioned and a great stop before or after errands and shopping in town. Located across from the harbor side's huge anchor located nearby Baz Bar.
    Near the shop where you bought my coral hearts

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 24,315

Tech is the home decor and accessory shop..they are neighbors on that very block.

There is a Budda staue holding a heart on a banquette inside Quarter General..QG and I think of your daughters and you when ever we dine there! Hugs.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 187

you can also buy the rhum from Cafe Gloriette online and have it shipped. I think it was about $42 for shipping for 6 bottles to the US, but the rhum is so cheap for how good it is that it just seems like a great deal anyway. Alas, only two bottles left Not going to make it to November...

Was a great rainy day to sit there at Cafe Gloriette and split a pint of vanilla rhum and have them bring us every other flavor to sample and relax and great conversation with the staff too...Sadly I never made it to the original place. We walked through it but it was an odd time of day and no other customers were there and being our first time on Island we weren't sure what to make of it and just kept walking. That's one of my big St Barths regrets that I'll never get to rectify

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 1,719

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    you can also buy the rhum from Cafe Gloriette online and have it shipped. I think it was about $42 for shipping for 6 bottles to the US, but the rhum is so cheap for how good it is that it just seems like a great deal anyway. Alas, only two bottles left Not going to make it to November...

Was a great rainy day to sit there at Cafe Gloriette and split a pint of vanilla rhum and have them bring us every other flavor to sample and relax and great conversation with the staff too...Sadly I never made it to the original place. We walked through it but it was an odd time of day and no other customers were there and being our first time on Island we weren't sure what to make of it and just kept walking. That's one of my big St Barths regrets that I'll never get to rectify
    Really??? Rhum Vanille Shipped?? That would be AWESOME!
    Strangers are friends you haven't met yet.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 18,996

Be aware that shipping Rhum Vanille can have issues. Shipping alcohol is frowned upon by many jurisdictions.

Me, I just make my own, LOL.