900E: Colombier to Gustavia

stbartslover

Senior Insider
As an owner/manager, I enjoy stories from our villa guests.
A family of 6 was staying over the holidays and their parents were in a hotel elsewhere.
They all took the hike out to Colomber. Midway, it started to rain and the boulders became slick and the grandparents (fit---mid 70's) decided "our lives are worth more than a return trip" so they called Vincent from Premium 4 who said all the boats were spoken for but perhaps he could arrange something.
He did, and they were plucked off the plage by an inflatable, dropped off in the harbor and cabbed back to Flamands Blue.

BTW I've had much younger couples say how scared they were by the same trek but this was the first one I know of who bagged the return and took the boat.

Honeymooners told me they were looking for a very memorable experience...said they hiked out and swam in the moonlight off Colombier with wine and a blanket which was high on "romantique", however, the way back in complete darkness was something they had not really thought through and were a little scrapped up by the time they got home. Fortunately, there was more wine in the frig.

BTW I've had much younger couples say how scared they were by the same trek but this was the first one I know of who bagged the return and took the boat.
A couple who told me they were looking for a very memorable experience...said they hiked out and swam in the moonlight off Colombier with wine and a blanket which was high on "romantique" but the return in complete darkness was something they had not really thought through and were a little scrapped up by the time they got home.

This is why I ALWAYS travel with a compact, powerful flashlight.

Great stories, Jeff . . . they show how well you bond with your guests! We haven’t had many such tales with Villa guests, but stories of visitors at The Normandie — many of whom were very young (relative to Wendy & me!) & first timers on the island — often were racy, hilarious, & a combination thereof. I still think the best one was an after-the-fact notice to us from a charming, young Texas couple that their first child was conceived while withstanding Hurricane Earl at the Hotel in — I think — 2010. They named the baby “Norman!” I hope he finds his way to SBH some day & re-lives the joy his parents found there.

Wonderful to reminisce. Walking back in the dark from Colombier would not be on our bucket list. Dangerous if you slip and no one to hear or find you. We have great premium IV stories as well where beyond the Call of Duty was performed.

It does sound romantic being out with your lover alone on Colombier under the stars with just wine and a blanket on the sand.
But as my Doc wife reminds me...there is no trauma care on the island.

....they were plucked off the plage by an inflatable, dropped off in the harbor and cabbed back to Flamands Blue.

Wait......Just to clarify the title: Were your guests charged 900 euros to take an inflatable boat from Colombier to Gustavia, then a taxi back to Flamands?

So, a thousand bucks for a 10 minute boat ride and 10 minute taxi drive?

And everyone seems happy about it?

Yes?

Wait......Just to clarify the title: Were your guests charged 900 euros to take an inflatable boat from Colombier to Gustavia, then a taxi back to Flamands?

So, a thousand bucks for a 10 minute boat ride and 10 minute taxi drive?

And everyone seems happy about it?

Yes?

Those were my thoughts, too, islander. Not quite understanding the joy.

I'm told the 900E included the taxi back to our villa. It WAS Christmas and so I'm certain there was a
"holiday rate" factored in. The Guests (parents) did not complain since it was a small price to pay to live as they told me.
Thanks Nancy:
I'm certain our friend and Ocean Scientist Dr Deborah Brosnan would know this, but on Wiki
:
Sharks
will follow schools of fish and fishing boats. After dark, they have a tendency to move toward shore, since most fish are more active at night, and locate their prey by by sound or smell. Sharks feed mostly at night.

In our case, I was blissfully unaware (should have remembered the movie), I guess we were just lucky the times we were out swimming by moonlight ourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrEvK-tv5OI

Oh, if the taxi ride was included, then the price was totally fine I guess.. clearly that would have been the expensive bit....;)

To me, it seems the sharks were swimming out of the water that night, voracious ones.

But happy ending.... so all is well in the world! :up:

I'm told the 900E included the taxi back to our villa. It WAS Christmas and so I'm certain there was a
"holiday rate" factored in. The Guests (parents) did not complain since it was a small price to pay to live as they told me.
Thanks Nancy:
I'm certain our friend and Ocean Scientist Dr Deborah Brosnan would know this, but on Wiki
:
Sharks
will follow schools of fish and fishing boats. After dark, they have a tendency to move toward shore, since most fish are more active at night, and locate their prey by by sound or smell. Sharks feed mostly at night.

In our case, I was blissfully unaware (should have remembered the movie), I guess we were just lucky the times we were out swimming by moonlight ourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrEvK-tv5OI

Re-visiting STX on vacation with then fiancee, after living there for a year, we & another couple went to Salt River at nite, no sharks surfaced, but we were dumb, young & foolish to do that !