Restos 20 Final

KevinS

Senior Insider
I have been remiss in not posting the final version of Restos 20, the latest version of my SBH restaurant list. With a few final updates, attached below is Restos20.pdf

The following are what I recall as the major changes on the SBH restaurant scene for the 2018 – 2019 season.

First, the bad news:

While there have been many positive changes since Irma hit the island, two of the large beachfront hotels, Eden Rock and Guanahani, will remain closed until November of 2019. Hôtel Barrière Carl Gustaf, which has been undergoing renovations, is scheduled to reopen on November 1, 2019.

Côté Port is no more. After Irma, Hervé said “Côté Port, c'est dans le port”, Côté Port is in the harbor. The landlord had been planning to tear down the building, so it was time to move on. (See Quartier Général below).

La Gloriette, beloved by many, sustained heavy damage, and while it is unlikely that it will reopen, there are rumors that the property has been leased for a new restaurant. True or false? On St Barth, there's a rumor for everything!

O'Corail, La Gloriette's neighbor, likewise sustained heavy damage, and it is uncertain if they will get a permit to rebuild.

Hideaway reopened briefly, but has now closed. A new owner plans to reopen in the Spring, but I haven't heard if it will be a rebirth of the old Hideaway, or a new concept.

On to the good news:

The Hotel Christopher has reopened. Mango is open for lunch, and Christo Lounge Restaurant replaces Taïno for breakfast and dinner. Hotel Manapany has also reopened.

Cheval Blanc St-Barth Isle de France has reopened, but without a beach restaurant. With limited capacity, non-guests should strongly consider making reservations for lunch.

25 Quarter has changed its name to Quarter Kitchen + Cocktail Lab. It now has a backroom Rhum Room, said to have over 400 rums.

Café Gloriette, operated by Sandra of La Gloriette, has opened in Gustavia, across from La Poste. They serve a healthy breakfast, brunch, and a few tapas, as well as being a Rhum and Wine Bar. Evening and Sunday hours have recently been announced.

La Cantina has been sold. No word yet if the new owners will continue the same concept, or if they plan something new.

Eden Rock will again have a pop-up beach restaurant this year, on their own beach, but reportedly is restricted to Eden Rock Villa guests.

Fish Corner was the hot new restaurant of 2018. Serving a seafood menu, they are located in a corner behind Bar Oubli.

Lil' Rock was a new beach bar, located between La Plage and Hotel Emeraude Plage, which enjoyed a brief life. It has since closed, but could return. Time will tell.

New last year was Ociela, which opened in the former Strand space below Bonito. They have a Mediterranean menu, and a view out over the harbor.

Hervé, owner of many restaurants over the years, from Le Rivage to Côté Port, has opened a new restaurant, QG, short for Quartier Général, (HQ or Headquarters in English). The new restaurant is next to and behind the Carambole bakery, across from La Poste in Gustavia.

New in Petit Cul de Sac is JPizza. JP was the pizzaiola at Entracte, and later at Chez Rolande, and has now opened his own place.

Le Vietnam, a favorite of mine for an inexpensive dinner in an air-conditioned room, has closed as of 12/31/2018. Given French accessibility requirements, it is unlikely that another restaurant will open in that space.

The above is what I remember, but I'm sure that I've missed a few.

Bon Appetit!

View attachment restos20.pdf

Kevin, Kevin,
he's the DUDE
Sharing the deets
of SBH food!

...see what I did there? A poem. :peace-sign1: