Half Day Catamaran Trip

pintsizepilot

SBH Member
Hello St. Barts Experts !

Our family of four (kids 11 &14) will be visiting the island from March 20-30th. We did not plan our trip around the Bucket Regatta, but we are certainly glad to be on the island during this time (not sailors – just love a spectacle). I have been looking into the possibility of a half day skippered catamaran sail (Jicky or Top Loc) during the week following the regatta. We very much enjoy snorkeling but are aware that St. Barths is not as good for this as some other islands in the Caribbean. If we do book something, can anyone weigh in on which place has nicer snorkeling, Colombier or Fourchue? Might we be able to do both in 3 or 4 hours?

Alternatively, I wondered if we should scrap the idea of snorkeling and instead rent a catamaran (skippered) to "chase the regatta". Honestly, as I said, I don't know anything about sailing – I just read about this activity on various forums. I hate to miss out on something fun! I imagine it might be too late to plan such a thing now anyway as this is such a major event on the island.

I would most appreciate some input. Thank you !

You can do both in 4 hours but it is pushing it for a relaxed time. Go to Fourchue first and you may consider going back to Shell Beach instead of Colombier and swim in for lunch at the end of your time and walk back to your car. It is not that far- maybe a 15 minute walk and all flat- around part of the marina.

Chase the Bucket! We do it every year and it is a spectacular day. If you want a personal experience, you can charter a boat and your captain will take you wherever you want with a snorkeling stop at the end. If you want to be part of a group, Arnaud from TopLoc will post something on this site in February or March with details about signing up for his group trip. I forget what we paid last year, but it was reasonable - maybe 125 euro/person or so. We stop at Colombier at the end of the trip and splash in the water, but there's no snorkeling that I know of at that spot.

Quick update. Thank you again Jeanette. We have booked with TopLoc to Chase the Bucket on March 23rd. It is 120 euros a person (10-5pm) including lunch.

I think you are in for a boat ride and a day that will give you good memories to last a lifetime. Enjoy!

Quick update. Thank you again Jeanette. We have booked with TopLoc to Chase the Bucket on March 23rd. It is 120 euros a person (10-5pm) including lunch.

You will have a wonderful adventure. How did you sign up? I emailed TopLoc and never got a response. Arnaud also provides wine, rhum punch, beer and soft drinks.

If anyone in your crew gets seasick, I highly recommend taking Mercalm with caffeine before the trip. The water is rougher some years than others.

Hi Jeanette, i had sent you the email back this morning..tell me if you if you don't find the email, i will send it again!

Hi Arnaud. Happy New Year. I just checked and there's no email from you yet. I am so happy you offer us this adventure every year. It is always a spectacular day!

I've always thought the bucket trips sounded so fun! I'm hoping there is something similar offered during Les Voiles! Off to send an email...

Chasing the Bucket is definitely the preferable experience. We have done it in the Contender on several occasions. If you get seasick at all, prepare ahead of time because the seas can be heavy and you move fast to stay with the yachts racing. The rum punch is superb!

Oh, that sounds like a wonderful trip! And all the times I have been there for Les Voiles, I have not known about the possibility of a trip to follow the field. Maybe next time?

Oh, that sounds like a wonderful trip! And all the times I have been there for Les Voiles, I have not known about the possibility of a trip to follow the field. Maybe next time?

I sent an email to Arnaud and he said they do not usually have a boat trip during Les Voiles but with a minimum of 8 people he will open one. We're a group of 5 so I'm hoping we'll be able to do it. Davesmom, will you be on island for Les Voiles this year? If so you could join us!

Caroline and I have done both Les Voiles and Bucket several times.
Bucket is a gorgeous and exciting regatta spectacle, Les Voiles is more of a real matched race with classes.
For either of these events, it's important to be in a fast craft (we typically take a cat but one year we chartered a private motor yacht with friends which was great, too) if you want to keep up with the boats, which are really moving.
Clicking though some old Les Voiles pics below....about as good as it get on St Barth.

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/sh...l-Trip-Les-Voiles-Photos?highlight=Les+Voiles

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/sh...tslover-s-April-Photo-Album?highlight=Jannick

Caroline and I have done both Les Voiles and Bucket several times.
Bucket is a gorgeous and exciting regatta spectacle, Les Voiles is more of a real matched race with classes.
For either race it's important to be in a fast craft (we typically take a cat but one year we chartered a private motor yacht with friends which was great, too) if you want to keep up with the boats which are really moving.
Clicking though some old pics down below....great times.

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/sh...l-Trip-Les-Voiles-Photos?highlight=Les+Voiles

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/sh...tslover-s-April-Photo-Album?highlight=Jannick

Jeff, I loved reading your trip reports! Our group consists of sailors so everyone wants to be on the water to watch. Of course the biggest issue is they are going to wish they were out there racing-they race our Frers 33 in our weekly club races so I can only imagine how badly they are going to wish they were able participate! I'm simply along for the ride! I hope there will be others wishing to join in so Arnaud will open a day.

My husband and I are signed up on Mar 23 as well! This will be our first Chase the Bucket, too! We’re really looking forward to it!

?...Our group consists of sailors ... they are going to wish they were out there racing.

Race Charters for Les Voiles.
The ones listed on the above link to the Les Voiles site are mainly whole boat but there are also individual positions (e.g. on the Beneteau 47 EH01 @ $1600) At quick read, i do not see OnDeck listed but their website lists positions on a Farr 65 @ $1925. Whole boat and crew slots would be for the entire regatta. I do not know if it is possible to negotiate crew slots for shorter.

Crew Positions
Les Voiles has the boat seeker/crew seeker section linked above (not much there now)... and there is always the time-honored approach of hanging around the docks and bars. Years ago, someone on island posted with available crew slots. I have no idea if they still are on island, have a boat etc. but the person's contact info is in this thread.