Isles de la Plage -St. Jean

hydraaa

SBH Insider
Has anyone recently stayed at this hotel? My wife and I are going in April...just the 2 of us for the first time in a long time...long, belated, anniversary celebration after doing family vacations and big villas for the last 20 years....

Looking for a cheap, 1BR, low-key accomodation right on the beach....saw this...have been on this beach many times...

If anyone has any other suggestions, please chime in...quickly if possible....as I would like to book in the next day or so...

Also, saw that Hafida and the Hideaway are "retiring"....so sad...my family and I had many memorable meals with Andy and her over the last 25 years...my two boys literally grew up there...

Thank you in advance!

We arrived a day early and stayed a single night in a beach cottage a couple of years ago (pre-Irma). We enjoyed it. Sitting area and a small kitchen/dining area downstairs, with a bathroom and bedroom upstairs. There was a clearing in front with a hammock, I believe, and then you stepped out to the row of lounges facing the water. No beach to speak of. Not sure what Irma did to the foliage, nor the how much it's come back.

ok...thanks everyone...booked a stay last night...will post review in late March...

Anyone know what will happen of the Hideaway?

The Hideaway was always our arrival day dinner. Hope whatever reincarnation takes place it is a fun, somewhat informal venue.

I LOVE Les Ilets and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. From the website, the rooms look better than ever.

I can't imagine the construction noise level is bad now near Eden Rock. They set up their pop up beach and restaurant right on St. Jean beach for exclusive use of their villa renters.

We were on the island last March and even with the wall/fencing, we thought St. Jean beach was simply beautiful.

Here's a photo of Eden Rock's new pop up beach restaurant. I would hope the worst of the construction noise is over is they are inviting ER villa guests to spend the day on St. Jean beach.

Eden Rock Pop Up Beach.jpg

The entire property is a work zone that is visible from the beach and the road. A huge undertaking.

For anyone who stayed at Les Islets in the past, here's is some sad news:

It is with the greatest sadness that we inform you of the passing of Pierre Eric Houdant.
Eric was at the helm of Les Ilets for over 10 years and much loved by guests and staff alike. He played an active role on the island from the Hotel Association to the tourist board to the choir. He will also be remembered by many from his early days at Le Filao and La Banane. Generous, warm hearted and fun loving, he departed far too young and the world is a sadder place without him.
We will advise funeral arrangements as and when we hear them from the family. Meanwhile we send our heartfelt condolences to his daughter and his family.

I’m very sorry to read of Eric’s passing. My recollection is that he left Les Islets last season, & it seemed odd at the time that he would be leaving. A very fine person, with great humor and spirit . . . it is a loss of another of a generation of people with whom I “grew up” on St. Barths.

Thank you everyone for contributing! This is what I love about the island, the people who live there, and the people who visit....a true community...We've been going since we daytripped over in 1989 when we were staying in St. Maarten for our honeymoon...told the wife...this is IT! We've found our second home...came back next year in 1990 ...loved the Lafeyette Club for all those that remember....I've lost count, but I think we've been there 25 times...both my boys have grown up there...now going back just me and the wife to celebrate our 30th after the last 6 tough years...cancer, etc...

Time to go home...told the wife if anything happens to me, I want my ashes there...my favorite place ever...

Happy to read of your romance with St. Barths . . . it’s an infectious contagion! Please continue to savor such great memories & feelings.