Restaurant Selection Help

Valerie

SBH Insider
Now that we are past the holidays we're in full planning mode for our first vacation to St. Barth in 5.5 years (98 days out)! We're heading to the island with several friends during Les Voiles and I'm working to plan out our dining experiences. I was hoping to get some recommendations since I know the dining scene has changed so much in recent years especially after Irma. We always loved Wall House, Andy's, Eden Rock and Le Gaiac so I'm wondering what restaurants we should visit now for similar experiences? It seems Fish Corner and Quarter General (or is it Quarter Kitchen now? I'm confused since I'm not sure if there are two restaurants with similar names?) would be good choices? Should we try Le Toiny or perhaps the Beach Club? We've never been to L'Esprit so I believe we will try there...perhaps Tamarin? Also, as we will have a group we were thinking about Nikki Beach and Le Ti. We've never done Nikki but have enjoyed Le Ti. Should we do both?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! As you can see I'm a bit all over the place. Not having visited the island in years along with bringing two newbies (and one other that has not ventured outside of Gustavia) to the island I'm having a hard time making decisions! We will be on the island for 7 nights and plan to dine out for either lunch or dinner each day with of course daily visits to La Petite Colombe. Thank you in advance! We so can't wait to be back on our favorite island!

Hi Valerie,

Quartier Général (Headquarters in English) and Quarter Kitchen + Cocktail Lab are two restaurants with similar names, a few blocks apart in Gustavia. Quartier Général is Hervé's new restaurant, replacing Coté Port which was destroyed by Irma. Quarter Kitchen + Cocktail Lab is the new name for 25 Quarter.

Definitely get to L’Esprit...the island’s premier chef and host, Jean-Claude,and a great staff to support him. Santa Fe in Lurin for lunch or dinner. Quarter General in Gustavia. Add L’Isola in Gustavia or Tamarin in Saline for other special dinners.

These would be on my list.Enjoy.

Oops, also Bananiers in Colombier for the best made pizzas and in addition they have nightly specials by an excellent chef. Also great staff.

Here are a few thoughts on recommendations:

L'Esprit - Jean-Claude is arguably the best chef on the island. Dinner only.
Tamarin - The gardens at night provide a great ambiance, sometimes described as magical. Dinner only.
Les Bananiers - Perhaps a substitute for Andy's. Very good pizza. Lunch and dinner.
Eddy's - Perhaps another substitute for Andy's. Dinner only.
Quartier Général - Hervé provides a consistently good experience. Lunch and dinner.
Santa Fé - Perhaps a substitute for Wall House. Great views at lunch.

Don't forget Black Ginger (Thai) and Orega (Japanese fusion), both in Gustavia and both very good!

Oh thank you all so much! These suggestions help greatly! And Kevin thank you for clearing up my confusion with Quarter General. I know for sure that is one we want to visit. One of our friends dined at Cote Port and just loved it. Also, was Herve also at Le Rivage? That was the very first restaurant we ever dined at in SBH so we have very fond memories of it. Sounds like
Les Bananiers is a must for our pizza fix. And it seems L'Esprit is also a must do. Now to narrow down the other options...

Le Rivage was the first of Hervé's restaurants that I experienced. He has had several others since. The Salade Pilou (Goat cheese, grilled shrimp, warm bacon dressing) is still on the menu at QG.

Valerie, look at the two websites below for some online menus which may help your research:

http://www.alacarte-stbarth.com/ [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]https://www.access-premium.com/en/st-barth/restaurants

[/FONT]

Orega is at the top of our list. Food is wonderful and different (in a great way) and Greg, the owner, is delightful.

Orega is at the top of our list. Food is wonderful and different (in a great way) and Greg, the owner, is delightful.

Our favorites from 2018:

Bonito - Latin-influenced menu with great seafood, beautiful dining room, stunning view
Tamarin - Garden of Eden ambience, a magical spot for cocktails in the garden
Papillon Ivre - Bordeaux-influenced wine bar with delicious French small plates and beautiful wines. A view similar to Andy's...
Eddy's - It's not a trip to SBH without dinner at Eddy's. We go for the ambience, the host and good, not great, food. The tuna three ways is wonderful.
L'Isoletta - Delicious pizza and Italian salads and small plates with a cool outdoor vibe right in town.

Favorites from other other years that we missed in 2018:

Orega - Fantastic Japanese-French fusion cuisine with a delightful owner.
Nikki Beach - Gorgeous view and the most fun you can have on a Sunday afternoon on St. Barth. The food is great, too.

I’ll add our favorites too...

Tamarin; l’Isola; l’Isoletta...their lasagna is great; nice breakfast alternative too; Bananiers; Le Quartier General; Eddy’s; Santa Fe at lunch; Le Barthelemy for a beach lunch - food is better at Nikki, but the setting here is gorgeous; Shellona for lunch - I didn’t care for it on previous visits, but during our most recent December trip, it was one of the best lunches we had; Creperie for a casual meal

Have a great trip!