Tamarin is too dark!!!

Bart -my real name-

Senior Insider
I realize this problem is not just limited to Tamarin or St. Barts, but restaurants are getting ridiculous with the lighting conditions, or lack there of.

When we got our menus last week at Tamarin, they came with little lights attached so you could actually read the menu!!

During the appetizers, (which we were using the flashlights on our phones to see), I mentioned to our server that it was so dark that we couldn’t see the beautifully prepared dishes. She returned a minute later with a “menu light” that we used for the rest father meal to light the table, and told us that the chef doesn’t like it either!! The chef wants the place to be lit brighter so people can actually see his creations! Sadly, he’s not getting his way.

The menu with the light attached.

47FA4B7B-49DE-43E4-8F54-8822F4DF62CA.jpg

My water glass with the light attached.

08105DB4-BA19-4A8E-A195-9785D02B105E.jpg

... Dim lights, thick smoke and loud, loud music, the 3 main sources of restaurant complaints that nevertheless appeal to some...

I realize this problem is not just limited to Tamarin or St. Barts, but restaurants are getting ridiculous with the lighting conditions, or lack thereof....

Diners in darker rooms tend to go for less-healthy choices... darker is for romance and, particularly with sources from below and diffused, dim lighting makes people look and feel more attractive... you can be the judge if these are related phenomena...

(Bart - of the common restaurant issues, at least we can be like you and turn on the bright lights to remedy the one at Tamarin)

Thanks for the link Izzy!

I get all that stuff about romance and setting the scene, and (perhaps) looking more attractive, but it drives me nuts to be served edible works of art that you can't see!!

Anyhow, here's one for you:

I started carrying lil keychain lites for SBH menus years ago...now, just fire up the flashlite app on my phone...

To paraphrase, Bart: "if it's too dark, you're too old..."

I started carrying lil keychain lites for SBH menus years ago...now, just fire up the flashlite app on my phone...

To paraphrase, Bart: "if it's too dark, you're too old..."

Fred?

OMG....how the hell are you?

Best wishes for a wonderful holiday season!

Bart, I use the menu lights and my phone at Tamarin on a regular basis. I could walk in there and tell Justine "Just give us what you gave us last time (and trust me, she could do that, LOL)", and I would still want more light.

And Fred, where the heck have you been? Welcome back!

The darkness is just plain silly! Let the chef be proud of his dishes and clients enjoy seeing their food without playing “peekaboo” in the black of night.
Welcome FRED!

We went there and it was really dark. It’s my 3rd or 4th time there and I have to say it’s my least favorite place and I know everyone raves about it.

... it drives me nuts to be served edible works of art that you can't see!!...

So Dans le Noir won't be on your list if they open a St Barth location?

Dining in absolute darkness... a social experience where darkness frees inhibitions and fosters a conviviality without preconceptions. A human experience where those with visual impairments become our eyes and guides for a short time in an intriguing, sensual world.

Some have found it a chance to get shown the light in the strangest of places... others are not fans of dining in the dark...