AVOID THRIFTY CAR RENTAL- NOT SO THRIFTY

abc

SBH Insider
In September I made a reservation for a Suzuki 4 wheel drive with Thrifty through Expedia. The great rate of $207 for the week + insurance was a great quasi holiday rate. Yesterday, with contract in hand I stopped at the Thrifty rental desk where they told me the reservation was cancelled. What BS! I never cancelled it and never received any prior correspondence from Thrifty or Expedia of a cancellation. The Thrifty employees could care less but now they would gladly offer me the same car for > $1000 for the week. Expedia was also no help in resolving this problem. My thought is that Thrifty cancelled the reservation on their own when they realized the reservation price was too good to be true. We did get a rental from a neighboring company but at more than twice the price. Feel like giving Expedia a bill for the difference in the costs of the cars. It just put a sour start on what will hopefully be a great vacation

That truly sucks, abc; I'm so very sorry! While I've never used Thrifty (or Expedia, for that matter) on St Barth, I have made a mental note to not ever start!

I hope you are able to put that negative event behind you and soak in all the other positivity St Barth has to offer.

the thrifty here cannot help you. if you want results, you need to email the two persons below. one is ceo of expedia, the other is ceo of thrifty. my guess it is the fault of expedia and not the fault of thrifty. make sure when you email, you provide all docs concerning your reservation.

ceo expedia email: mokerstrom@expedial.com his name is Mark Okerstrom

good luck
ceo thrifty email : slthompson@group1auto.com his name is Scott Thompson

WE agree with bart- Odile at Gumbs, booking directly is the only way we have always rented and everything has always been perfect- with the cars; when we have had flats and even when we have had too much luggage- they take it to the Villa for you- no charge!

Thanks for the recommendations. Will do so when we return home and can access all the documents. This was the first time we ever used a third party for car rental here. Lesson learned

WE agree with bart- Odile at Gumbs, booking directly is the only way we have always rented and everything has always been perfect- with the cars; when we have had flats and even when we have had too much luggage- they take it to the Villa for you- no charge!

Another great rental car agency is TOPLOC; locally owned and operated, you can’t beat Arnaud, Kalu, and Teddy. They have a reliable and good inventory. They back up their rentals with great service and they are just about the nicest people you could ever meet. Since 2000 we’ve never been mislead or disappointed.

Agree about TOPLOC - use them every time, and never any issues whatsoever. And their vehicles are clean and well maintained! And Arnaud and staff are friendly and professional!

KUDOS to EXPEDIA. EXPEDIA reimbursed me the difference between my original contract agreement with Expedia-Thrifty car rental and the final cost of the car that was rented (more than 3 times the original rental price). The CEO and his staff at Expedia could not have been nicer. Still have a sour taste regarding Thrifty and would never rent from Thrifty again- anywhere

Agree 100% on Odile and Gumbs! Emailed her after (1) checked flights vs villa availability, (2) booked villa, (3) booked flights. Then, (4) booked Odile! Waited, not so patiently, for the next 5 1/2 months ��

So the original contract was $207 per week and the new rental cost greater than $600 per week. Expedia reimbursed me the difference :)