Boat Transfer from SXM to SBH

FamilyTraveler

SBH Insider
We’re thinking of doing a boat transfer from SXM to SBH instead of flying. Has anyone has experience doing this post IRMA? Do you know how far the boat pick up is from the SXM airport or how long the boat ride is? Transferred last year through the tent, looking for alternative options this year. Thank you!

Hi Family Traveler- We have not done the boat from SXM to SBH for a while, but my husband just did the boat from SBH to SXM last week. He said the drive from Phillipsburg ( we always use the Great Bay Express) was 75 minutes as traffic in SXM is pretty bad. This is a drive that used to take about 35-40 minutes. The boat ride itself is about 45 minutes. I find that flying in to SBH is not that bad in terms of waiting at the airport in SXM, but a lot depends on when your flight arrives. That being said, I prefer to take the boat out of SBH which I will probably do next week. I don't know the details on the Voyager travel times.

Thank you PurpleJeep. We're actually thinking of doing a private boat transfer via Jicky. My apologies for not being clear in my original post! We've done the ferry in the past and wouldn't do it again. Too much time lost that we could be spending on St. Barts :)

We chartered a boat to SBH after our very delayed flight from JFK to SXM left us no option for a flight or the ferry. Fortunately, we met a few other delayed passengers who contributed to the cash-only charter. A representative met us at the airport and walked us to the boat. It was no more than a 10-minute walk.

Four couples paid a total of $1,600 for a one-way trip. No doubt we overpaid, but we didn't have to pay for a hotel in SXM and deal with the airport the next morning. It was money well spent - we enjoyed dinner at Orega and slept in our villa that night.

A private charter boat is by far more efficient short of a charter flight. That said, from our experience, the bigger the boat, the more comfortable the ride. We chartered a cigarette boat which was really quick, but, wow, were we drenched by the time we got to SBH. We were picked up just across the street from the airport at the dock; a really short walk.

If any one in your party gets seasick as my bride does, the boat is not an option. It can get quite rough even on the large ferries and the seas are unpredictable.