Any intel on new places?

Bart -my real name-

Senior Insider
Does anyone have any thoughts, experiences, or must-order dishes from the new crop of places?

I'm thinking of:

Bohemia by Maman
Café Gloriette
Fish Corner
Ociella
Le Papillon Ivre
Pearl Beach
Quartier General (or is this basically Cote Port in a different location.......that would be more than fine with me, other than not eating waterside!)

Thanks!

QG is Herve’s newest restaurant and is excellent. Great staff and service.smoking can be an issue as the locals dine there as well..almost always packed so reservations are suggested.

Cafe Gloriette is a lovely new restaurant run/healthy snack bbar run by Sandra from Gloriette. Fresh smoothies, salads, fruit platters, etc I a lovely air conditioned space.

Thanks Amy!

One other thing I forgot to ask is how is Galawa compared to Pipiri? The menu that I found online looks very different from Pipiri and different from the early days of Galawa.

Galawa has a new chef...no longer the guy with the Rasta type beaver tail hairdo. Have not tried their new menu.

Bohemia is no longer operating in the old Le Carré space, nor is it operating at the Tropical Hotel. Maybe next year.

We had a mixed bag at Ociela. They were super friendly but the service was slow, even by St. Barth standards. Since we were a fun group of 6 :cool: , it didn't matter much. The special was well liked and the risotto was not. They took the risotto off the bill and brought two rounds of their delicious limoncello-like shots.
Nice views but some smokers too.

We also liked QG because it reminded us of "old school" St. Barth places with their menu. The gendarmes like it too!

Pearl Beach was a fun lunch but Nikki's food was better.

ETA- not new by any means but we had a great lunch at La Langouste.

Hey Bart, I've been to a few on your list...

QG - The food was identical to Cote Port, with a beautiful interior. i finally had the famous goat cheese salad, but I think my expectations were too high. It was good, just not great. The downside was the unbearable smoking. There were five tables full of smokers surrounding us and the smoke and lack of clean air was so intense I started having an asthma attack. (A first for me in a restaurant.) We reached out to our waiter for help and he was totally dismissive. He said people were allowed to smoke because it was an open air restaurant.

Papillon Ivre - The cuisine is cooked by the owner using her grandmother's recipes from Bordeaux. Everything was exquisitely prepared and the wines were excellent and reasonably priced. We were so thrilled by the food and hospitality that we went back twice. The owner, Julie, is a gracious hostess.

Ociela - We went for appetizers and drinks and the food, wine and view were memorable. The octopus was especially good. The view over the harbor during the Bucket was sensational and the overall ambience was gorgeous.

I am a huge fan of Nikki Beach for lunch. Beautiful restaurant, stunning views, fantastic food and reasonable prices for the experience...

Wow! That was fast. Thanks for the update Kevin. It's been a while, but really liked eating in that outdoor space between the shops.

Look for a new restaurant in that space, but I'm not sure how soon it will be open. Rumor is that it will be called Le Carré, but will have no connection to the former restaurant of that name.

We also liked QG because it reminded us of "old school" St. Barth places with their menu. The gendarmes like it too!

Pearl Beach was a fun lunch but Nikki's food was better.

ETA- not new by any means but we had a great lunch at La Langouste.

Thanks Marybeth!! I was late to the party on Cote Port, but loved it once I discovered it, so QG is definitely on the list.

I never made it to La Plague for an actual meal, but maybe this year I'll hit Pearl Beach since so many other beach front places are closed.

La Langouste is another I've never been too, but have been eying.

Thanks again!

Hey Bart, I've been to a few on your list...

Papillon Ivre - The cuisine is cooked by the owner using her grandmother's recipes from Bordeaux. Everything was exquisitely prepared and the wines were excellent and reasonably priced. We were so thrilled by the food and hospitality that we went back twice. The owner, Julie, is a gracious hostess.

Ociela - We went for appetizers and drinks and the food, wine and view were memorable. The octopus was especially good. The view over the harbor during the Bucket was sensational and the overall ambience was gorgeous.

I am a huge fan of Nikki Beach for lunch. Beautiful restaurant, stunning views, fantastic food and reasonable prices for the experience...

Thanks for your info Jeanette!!

I'm spending 2 nights in St. Jean and one night would always be reserved for the Hideaway, but with that place closed, I'm very happy to read your report on Papillon Ivre.

I'm also a big Nikki fan. I'm going for the Sunday madness, but may have to return on a normal day too.

I never made it to La Plague for an actual meal, but maybe this year I'll hit Pearl Beach since so many other beach front places are closed.

Thanks again!
Most will be open except for Sand Bar, La Gloriette and maybe O'Corail.

Lots of beachfront lunch options this season compared to last - Cheval Blanc, La Langouste, Manapany, Pearl Beach, Nikki Beach, Le Toiny Beach Club, Le Sereno, Le Barthelemy, and Shellona - and then there's Mango at the Christopher which has a fabulous waterfront setting and Grain de Sel which is walkable from Saline.

We had a fabulous lunch at Grain de Sel. The service was both friendly and fun. They still have one of my favorite lunch dishes, a lentil salad topped with sliced duck breast and pears.

E6E02BB5-5542-474B-B0BB-42ED8E1701CC.jpg

MB, Grain de Sel is on my "bucket" list every year and we somehow never make it. I'll definitely give it a try after your duck and lentil photo.

What a difference a year makes with beachy lunch spots. We had only two options last year - Shellona and Manapany - and we didn't miss a beat.

Yes, you’ll be spoiled for choice after last year. We definitely missed the spots on Grand Cul de Sac, especially La Gloriette.

Hi Marybeth,
Sounds as though you are enjoying a great time. One of Matt’s favorite dishes. I actually enjoy lunch there more than dinner. Have fun and thank you for posting

Hi Dad,
Sadly we are back...I didn't post much while there but now that I am missing it I'm revisiting pictures and hanging out here....:cool:

Cold or warm, salad & duck & citrus-y dressing I'm guessing ? Does look good ! on the list for next trip.