Phys Ed Class?

KevinS

Senior Insider
Phys Ed Class, if that’s what it is, wasn’t like this where I grew up. A group of 19 surfers has suddenly appeared on the bay in front of the villa. Some actually surf, others are content to sit on their boards, and one appears to be sleeping. The more capable surfers, all young women, are as usual off to my left, and the remainder in the calmer water to my right.

It’s quieter today, partly cloudy with 30% cloud cover. It feels slightly cooler today, or perhaps it’s just a bit less humid. There’s a light breeze moving the palm fronds around, and I see an occasional seabird out on the bay. It looks like it’s going to be another perfect day in St Barth.

The surf, at least for now, is calmer than it has been for the last few days. I never tire of sitting here watching the waves, the surfers, and the occasional boat sailing by. With the notable exception of last year, I’ve done this over Thanksgiving for the last ten years, including three years at the villa which was here prior to this villa being built. It’s peaceful, restful, and restorative here.

While yesterday was a day of barely eating (too full!), we start today with a larger breakfast. There are Quiche Jambon Champignon (Ham and Mushroom Quiche) from across the street, Mango Saffron Yogurt, Clementines, Guadeloupe Melon, and of course Mimosas. I snagged two Eclairs for dessert too, one Café and one Vanille.

We have no plans for the day. There are both a beach and a pool within a few steps. The only grocery shopping which is needed is ice from just up the street. It’s too soon to think about lunch, but I think that I want Octopus for dinner. For now, it is time for the dishes, another Mimosa, and then back to my book, the waves, and the surfers.

78DD72F6-FD47-430E-BB15-C3A3EE462E42.jpg81C1EBF1-24C8-4803-BD31-385F256367D6.jpg

Phys Ed Class, if that’s what it is, wasn’t like this where I grew up. A group of 19 surfers has suddenly appeared on the bay in front of the villa... The more capable surfers, all young women, are as usual off to my left.

Given your observations in this and your prior surfer girls report and the recent shopping discussion:

You might npbe able to pick up some pearls about surfing if you visit Kalinas et Tainos. One of the young women (Loula, ?sp.) working there earlier this year is an avid surfer.

The young women surfers may draw some inspiration from the island's Tessa Thyssen who is on a pro circuit.

I loved the octopus starter at L'Esprit and QG and Santa Fe do nice presentations too. But you probably know that already.

Rosemond had octopus at Santa Fe... interesting presentation with the long tentacles of a small octopus draped on the plate...

Agree with Amy . . . octopus at QG and Santa Fe has been very good, and I think that both have it as a regular menu item. Octopus at L'Esprit was incredible, but I think that it's only an occasional menu choice.