Local cell service / SIM card purchase

Bart -my real name-

Senior Insider
I did search of the site and couldn't find anything on this.

Is it possible to rent/buy a SIM card to get cellular coverage (with an unlocked phone)? I did this earlier this year in Egypt and it was very cheap and worked very well. In fact, I had better cell service in all of Egypt than I do at my home in Northern VA!!

Any info would be appreciated,
Thanks!
Bart

BART!!!

I have nothing to offer on the cell question...but good to see you here. I understand we are missing you guys by just a few days. Bummer...we will try not to drink all the rosé.

Bart,

Good to hear from you.

I believe that Orange and other carrier stores will sell you pay-as-you-go SIM for the unlocked phone (it should have ranges used in SBH, but most of the latest phones do). I bought two SIM cards in Orange store in St. Jean, although it was a while ago. You can actually call them from States if you want to be absolutely sure. Challenge with Orange stores are that they are only open on weekdays. Also, you need to have your passport with you, when you are buying SIM card (anti-terrorist regulations, or something like that). Orange and others have LTE coverage in most of the places on the island. Surprisingly, I find that the area near the Stadium is the worst at least for orange and digicell.

You can also go to the IDEAL / Orange store in Gustavia, across from Choisy bakery... they usually deal with cell phone questions...

Thanks Leon! Great info.

Hey Marybeth!! Yes, it's sad but true that we'll miss you completely and only have a one day overlap with Bill and Charlotte (ccg). We'll definitely miss the group lunch! ;-(

The Orange store in Gustavia has terrific people and they will help you get set up. I believe you can buy a SIM for 25 EU that will give you an SBH number as well as 5-10 Eu of phone credit, which should hold you for a week or so. The advice given about opening days and having your passport is spot on. Your unlocked phone should work fine.

Phil

One more point, Bart. If you by chance have TMobile One Plus, you can have unlimited text and 3G data in most of SBH for free. Calls though are 25 cents per min.

Hey, Bart...! I can attest, first-hand, about the passport piece. Don't try bringing a copy either...they want to see (and photocopy) the real deal!

I have a SBH pre-pay phone number from Dauphin Telecom (next to Boulsngerie Choisy in Gustavia) on an unlocked phone. As long as there is activity every 3 months (usage, or something topup of a few €) I keep the number. I could also let it lapse, and get a new number the next time that I come back to the island.

I have a SBH pre-pay phone number from Dauphin Telecom (next to Boulsngerie Choisy in Gustavia) on an unlocked phone. As long as there is activity every 3 months (usage, or something topup of a few €) I keep the number. I could also let it lapse, and get a new number the next time that I come back to the island.
Kevin, do you use your regular phone with the pre-pay number? Or do you have a phone you bought from down there? Did you get a SIM card put in your phone? I have an iPhone, so don't know if you can do the pre-pay number thing with it. (OK, you know I am technologically challenged...so the questions might be rather dumb..!)

I use an old unlocked Motorola Razr flip phone with a SIM which I purchased from Dauphin. I really should “upgrade”to on old unlocked iPhone, but it’s still working fine.

Kevin,
So I guess you only using this Dauphin SIM-med phone only for voice calls and maybe texts? How is the island coverage with Dauphin, and why did you choose them over Orange and Digicell?

Leon,
I use it only for phone calls, mostly for restaurant reservations (all of their numbers are on the phone) but also for incoming calls and as an emergency contact number. In conjunction with a Bla Bla Phone Card, the occasional international call is super cheap. For data, I mostly use my iPad at the villa. I also put an ATT international plan, either Passport or their $10/usage-day plan on my iPad, depending on the length of the trip. With wi-fi in so many places, and the ability to do wi-fi calling on my iPhone, that covers my needs.

Why Dauphin? When I first did this years ago, Digicell wasn’t an option, and the Orange store was inconvenient and had long lines. With Dauphin, I can keep the number as long as there is activity every 3 months. I’m on the island often enough to cover part of that, and about twice a year I go online and do a €5 top-up to cover the remainder.

Some day I should probably switch from the Razr to an old unlocked iPhone, but what I’m doing works well for me. I should look into Dauphin’s pe-paid Data plans too.

Hm, I have a similar story.

Back in 1998 I bought a brick Motorola phone with Orange SIM card (I didn't know anything about different carriers then even if they were in the island) from the Electronics store near the gas station, and (nock on the wood) I still use it for the similar tasks as you, with the regular refills.