November 13, 2018, Maya's reopens

phil62

Senior Insider
Whether you're a fan, or not, I think most would agree that Maya's is one of the most iconic restaurants on St Barth. It's been around more than 30 years under the same ownership, and its reopening signals another landmark in the Island's recovery from Irma. We were there last night to help them celebrate, and to enjoy a typically great dinner.

Maya, Randy, and Dora, et moi.

2018-11-14.jpg

Don't know how she pulls it off, but once again Maya was able to get the reddest and tastiest tomatoes from Guadeloupe which were topped with slices of mango and fresh basil.
P1040449.JPG

I had the butterfly poached shrimp and avocado salad
P1040451.JPG

Henry had the diced fino tartar..a little fish that he said was quite good with shredded lettuce and served with toasted baguette slices
P1040452.JPG

The classic tender and delicious filet of beef topped with flavored butter came with sides of mashed potatoes and fresh carrot slices and broccoli
P1040453.JPG

It was good to get to enjoy Maya's chicken dish with rice and vegetables. The whole little chicken was moist and had been marinated overnight and served with crispy skin and tender meat.
P1040454.JPG

Carole enjoyed the large grilled scallops prepared with capers and sage
P1040455.JPG

MAYA NOTES. The new bread baskets were handcrafted by island women and the bread was cigar shaped whole grain..fresh and soft and served with great olive oil.

I was happy to see the house cat was safe and back on the job and now has a brand new name, Fiona is now "Mr Fiona" and he also liked the chicken. Just sayin'

This is the greatest news I've heard all day! So happy to see those three smiling faces (Maya, Randy et Dora) back in their element. All the dishes look mouth-watering delicious! Great embedded reporting, friends.

Next time, maybe a photo of Mr. Fiona?

This is the greatest news I've heard all day! So happy to see those three smiling faces (Maya, Randy et Dora) back in their element. All the dishes look mouth-watering delicious! Great embedded reporting, friends.

Next time, maybe a photo of Mr. Fiona?

For you, Missy, anything.

P1040448.JPG

I saw a bit of one in the filet picture. :D

Wondering if you can still get those on the island? I have one but would get more if they are available.

I have 2 of the breadbaskets that I bought years ago, probably in Corossol. Everlasting memory of our favorite island ! I line with a linen napkin matching those on the table. Your pix Phil so bright, love everything but not a scallop person. Love the tomato, mango salad, a bright star or starfish ! Yummy nite.

It's always a pleasure to be with Maya, Randy, and Dora . . . long time "family" for me. Very happy to see them back at their usual posts!

I had the old linen placemats and napkins Maya once used too. I think I got them at Alma about 20 years ago.

Great photos to see all is well again at Maya’s....So happy they are back in business and looking forward to dining with them soon...always top on our list!!!!

Great reporting, Phil, and the pics are making me drool!! I always get the Fino when it’s on the menu there. Maya prepared it in a cooked version and serves it with a spicy green sauce which is to die for! So glad the night was successful and Maya, Randy and Dora look happy and healthy! I, too, spotted that pretty bread basket on the table in the photo above. Will search them out when we return.

for a "soft opening" Maya and Randy hit it out of the box
the food the service was excellent "never missed a beat"

all the best to Randy and Maya for a great season and see you guys in February!

What a wonderful photographic capture of a splendid evening. Wish they were open before we departed. 7-weeks and we will be enjoying a fine dining experience ourselves. Counting down the days.