Restos 20 Draft

KevinS

Senior Insider
A new season is approaching for St Barth. Restaurants and hotels are reopening, and the first guests of the new season are arriving. Attached is the first cut at what will be Restos20, the 20th version of my St Barth Restaurant List.

Some "eagle eyes" may notice changes which I've missed, or corrections which should be made. I'll post after my upcoming trip.

The following are what I recall as the major changes on the SBH restaurant scene for the 2018 – 2019 season.

First, lets get the bad news out of the way:

While there have been many positive changes since Irma hit the island, two of the large beachfront hotels, Eden Rock and Guanahani, will remain closed until November of 2019. Hôtel Barrière Carl Gustaf, which has been undergoing renovations, is scheduled to reopen on November 1, 2019.

Côté Port is no more. After Irma, Hervé said “Côté Port, c'est dans le port”, Côté Port is in the harbor. The landlord had been planning to tear down the building, so it was time to move on. (See Quartier Général below).

La Gloriette, beloved by many, sustained heavy damage, and it is uncertain if it will reopen. O'Corail, La Gloriette's neighbor, likewise sustained heavy damage, and it is uncertain if they will get a permit to rebuild.

Hideaway reopened briefly, but has now closed. A new owner plans to reopen in the Spring, but I haven't heard if it will be a rebirth of the old Hideaway, or a new concept.

On to the good news:

The Hotel Christopher has reopened. Mango is open for lunch, and Christo Lounge Restaurant replaces Taïno for breakfast and dinner. Hotel Manapany has also reopened, as has Villa Marie.

Cheval Blanc St-Barth Isle de France and Le Sereno are both scheduled to reopen on December 1, 2018

25 Quarter has changed its name to Quarter Kitchen + Cocktail Lab. It now has a backroom Rhum Room, said to have over 400 rums.

Café Gloriette, operated by Sandra of La Gloriette, has opened in Gustavia, across from La Poste. They serve a healthy breakfast, brunch, and a few tapas, as well as being a Rhum and Wine Bar. Evening hours are said to be coming soon.

La Cantina has been sold. No word yet if the new owners will continue the same concept, or if they plan something new.

Eden Rock will again have a pop-up beach restaurant this year. It is said to be moving from Lorient to Eden Rock's own beach, but I've yet to see any details.

Fish Corner was the hot new restaurant of 2018. Serving a seafood menu, they are located in a corner behind Bar Oubli.

Lil' Rock was a new beach bar, located between La Plage and Hotel Emeraude Plage, which enjoyed a brief life. It has since closed, but could return. Time will tell.

New last year was Ociela, which opened in the former Strand space below Bonito. They have a Mediterranean menu, and a view out over the harbor.

Hervé, owner of many restaurants over the years from Le Rivage to Côté Port, has opened a new restaurant, QG, short for Quartier Général, (HQ or Headquarters in English). The new restaurant is next to and behind the Carambole bakery, across from La Poste in Gustavia.

New in Petit Cul de Sac is JPizza. JP was the pizzaiola at Entracte, and later at Chez Rolande, and has now opened his own place.

Attached below is a PDF of Restos20 Draft.

Bon Appetit!

Attachments

• restos20 Draft.pdf
    97.1 KB · Views: 509
Kevin, thanks for all of your work !
Quartier General aka QG, the way written may be confusing to some as being under construction now, but having been there in early Feb for lunch, 2 X's in May 2018, we know it is finished, busy & good place ! Or do you mean something else nearby is now under construction ?

Kevin, thanks for all of your work !
Quartier General aka QG, the way written may be confusing to some as being under construction now, but having been there in early Feb for lunch, 2 X's in May 2018, we know it is finished, busy & good place ! Or do you mean something else nearby is now under construction ?

Incomplete edit on my part. Fixed.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Just about 3 weeks away and getting tingles! This will help with our dining plans.

Thanks Kevin!

My two favorite days of the year are daylight savings time in the spring when we get an extra hour of light in the evening, and when you release the new restaurant guide!! :D

Your Herculean effort to lift our spirits and satisfy our quests for culinary delights are truly appreciated, Kevin.

Kevin-
Thanks for 20 years of persistence and your love of the island for giving us this!
According to their website, Francois Plantation is open to the public for all three meals seven days a week.
Ociela not Ociella.