Thread: SXM building to be ready 12/15

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,582

SXM building to be ready 12/15

Andy

SBH New Member Joined: Oct 2018 Posts: 1

Re: SXM building to be ready 12/15

When we connected through SXM in February we were glad we purchased VIP assistance from WinAir, as it was quite a zoo. As we make plans for our return in Feb 2019, can you share some recent experience at the terminal?

Andy

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2017 New Jersey Posts: 18

darn that stinks. we are coming in on November 25th and was hoping it would be complete.

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2003 S.E. Penna, Petit-cul-de-Sac Posts: 109

I was just on the MahoBeach web cam and it looks like they are using the four jetways to board and exit the planes at the airport. Has anyone been down to SXM since they started using them?
    Villa Peacock
    Petit cul de Sac

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,151

You’re missed, George! When will we see you?

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,269

There are a bunch of forum posters (self included!!!) that are coming in the next few weeks so I'm sure there will be some "on the ground" updates coming.

Hi Dennis, the villa is still not repaired from Irma. The electric is still not finished inside the villa. They had to rewire the whole villa replacing all the switches and outlets. They got the roof back on a few weeks ago. The villa was really damaged in the hurricane just about everything had to be replaced or rebuilt inside and out.
    So there is no place to stay yet, the person who takes care of it is living in the pool house until the main villa gets livable. Then they have to rebuild the bungalow where the guy lived who takes care of the property, so it is going to be a long time before I can go down.
    Also my health is not good, that is why I was asking about the jetways, I an unable to climb steps. I am on oxygen all the time now, I have to figure out how I am going to deal with that going down and after I get there.
    So I hope to make it back someday. Thanks for missing me, lol. I hope you are well.
    George
    Villa Peacock
    Petit cul de Sac

Thanks Marybeth I will be looking for your report getting thru the airport. I am unable to do steps that is why I was asking about the jetways.
    Villa Peacock
    Petit cul de Sac

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,269

Quote Originally Posted by George Pa View Post
    Thanks Marybeth I will be looking for your report getting thru the airport. I am unable to do steps that is why I was asking about the jetways.
    No problem George, and hope you and your villa are on the mend!

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,284

Take care, George.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

Thanks Marybeth and Amy, I am trying. I hope to get back down and see the villa. I will have a new villa by the time they are done fixing it, they took the roof down to the rafters and repainted inside and out,rewired everything, new deck and tile pool too! They are just sloooow repairing things.
    Villa Peacock
    Petit cul de Sac

George- sorry to hear about your health. My wife is handicapped and was able to get down to SBH with a few helpers along the way. PM me if you want to know the specifics.

Andy

Hi Andy, I have been using a wheel chair for a few years now. I could walk, but not very far with out getting short of breath, I have emphysema. The oxygen is new, been on it since January, so I have not traveled using it the whole way. I have been on oxygen for a few years while sleeping because of sleep apnea, so I just took the generator down with me. With the oxygen I am suppose to have it on 4 ltrs, and nothing lasts very long since it is on that high. Right now I am using oxygen tanks, but I'm looking into into a small generator, but the batteries don't last that long while on steady 4 ltrs.
    Thanks for the offer for the help. Is Phyllis on oxygen or just using a wheel chair? I can walk around without a wheel chair most of the time, just use it when I have to walk long distances. Tell Phyllis I said Hi and Thanks again. I will keep an eye out for info about SXM. I did use Tradewinds a couple years ago, but that was not real good either.
    Take care
    George
    Villa Peacock
    Petit cul de Sac