Environmental destruction at Saline

snakemtn

SBH Insider
C0A58981-C45E-4B04-822C-AEECE778FE1A.jpg

witnessed this today in the natural area behind Saline beach. This is an extremely important area from an ecosystem services standpoint and I have no idea if the SBH government has permitted this wanton filling but have reached out to Olivier Reynaud who leads the environmental protection agency here and asked that question. Very sad and unfortunate to see this on an island that talks up it’s protection of the environment!

There has been "something" going on back there for several years. Before Irma, there was a stock pile of "stuff" there. In June I notice it was all gone.

I’m just hazarding a guess, but is that possibly the staging area for the Saline dune restoration project? I remember that the neighbors rejected the use of the Saint-Jean étang dredge, which necessitated the purchase of other fill material from around the island. Doesn’t appear to be an excavation site as far as I can tell.

Sometimes things have to be a little worse before they get better. The sands restoration project is worthy of a little mess.

Yes, indeed. The response I've gotten from the Environmental Dept. states:
We are aware of the currentplacement of fill in this area. This embankments is authorized by theCollectivity. It is intended to reinforce the back dune weakened by thehurricane.
The embankment will subsequently be revegetated with local species.